New Computer randomly freezes - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 01-15-2004, 01:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default New Computer randomly freezes

I just finished building a new computer for a client, and it was quickly returned to me for repair. The machine is randomly freezing when routine tasks are performed, but not at others. For instance, I launched 100 browser windows and 100 excel windows, all running at the same time and everything worked fine. But, I might put a cd in and launch a browser window and it will crash. But, I might try it again and it will work fine. I have tried a fresh formatted reinstall of all software and the same problem comes up again. Below is a list of the specs for the machine. I have also tried running some benchmarking software, everything checks out fine as well. I am pretty much desperate at this point.

Specs include:
amd 2600+
512 MB DDR 2800 RAM
"Elite Group" socket A mobo
300 W Power supply/case
geforce 2 32MB graphics
floppy drive

windows 2000 pro
office 2000
Norton '03

Please help!!

Old 01-15-2004, 03:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I switched the IDE cables around on the mobo. example: I had the hard drive plugged into channel 2 and the CD drive plugged into channel 1. I have not had any more problems since. Does this sound like a problem ***ociated with that?

Old 01-15-2004, 10:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

maybe it was a problem with the IDE cable that was connected to the hard drive/s
Closed Thread