New computer old OS, hangs on install

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it will take SP2. PCIe wasnt even invented back when XP came out in 2001 or SP1 in 2002.

Microsoft Announces Windows XP SP1 Release Date

XP SP1 released in Aug 2002.

PCIe released in 2004

PCI Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

XP SP2 released in Aug of 2004.

So it is very easy to confirm that XP SP2 is needed for PCIe support jsut by looking at the release dates of the patches. XP SP1 was 2 years before PCIe had even come out. No way it could support it. ;)

That is how i knew it would take SP2. Simple deduction of release dates of the products in question.

I was think along the same lines. That's why I checked the release date of my version of windows (2002).

Anyways, I'll research the slipstream thing and let you know the results tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice/help so far.

Okay. Your advice was right on. I incorporated SP2 into my XP Pro install disc, burned a new copy and my new computer is getting an OS as we speak!

Thanks for the research and advice.

Check all the pci boards you installed on the motherboard and the memory cards also if the motherboard cant access these devices it will hang up during operating system install.

As said in Post #12 all that was needed was a slip stream of SP2 on to his install Disc. He did not have a disc that could work with PCIe.

I personally never realize that a pre sp2 disc didn't work with pci-e which explains my answer. but then again I always update my discs to the latest sp so I wouldn't experience it

I was think along the same lines. That's why I checked the release date of my version of windows (2002).

Anyways, I'll research the slipstream thing and let you know the results tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice/help so far.

Okay. Your advice was right on. I incorporated SP2 into my XP Pro install disc, burned a new copy and my new computer is getting an OS as we speak!

Thanks for the research and advice.

Excellent. Glad to know I still know what I'm talking about;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom