New computer, need help with XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guernica

Solid State Member
Ok here's what I'm trying to do.

My 1st rig was a Dell PC with Windows XP. I go tired of it, so I built a new PC, but retained the old Hard Drive. New Mobo, Processor, Video Card, pretty much everything.

I was able to use the version of XP that came with the Dell computer by using the long 25-digit code on the side of the PC.

Now I've got a complete new computer (#3). It came with 2 blank HD's. I tried installing the same version of Windows on 1 of the HD's and using the same 25-digit code but its not working now.

Is this because I didnt re-use the old HD from the 1st Dell computer (the one that originally came with XP)?

If so, how do I use the old HD on this new computer. I tried swapping one of the new HD's for the old HD but the computer was stuck in a continuous reboot. The old HD already has XP installed, will I have to format it again and start from scratch? I dont want to lose everything I have on there.

Help :(

Well right now, I went ahead and partitioned both blank HD's and installed Windows XP. It keeps telling me I have 30 days to register it, but the 25-digit code isnt working. My guess is because neither of the 2 HD's came from the 1st Dell PC that originally had this XP installed.

Im thinking somehow if I can use the HD that originally came with XP installed on it on the first Dell (since it didnt give me any problems when going to a whole new setup the first time), then I'll be in the clear and the code will work.

just get a code offline... you already bought windows so its not like ur really pirating it any code works.. because theirs really no validation into you wanna do updates

homerj14 said:
just get a code offline... you already bought windows so its not like ur really pirating it any code works.. because theirs really no validation into you wanna do updates
hmm. Ive already begun installing SP1 and SP2, everything seems to work fine. Where can I get a code from?

dude go to google.com and just type it in i would write one for you but thats against TOS or AIM me at House300zx if u need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom