New Computer Hangs Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcclellanfsu

Solid State Member
Here is my situation.

I just put together a new computer (Quad Core QX6700, 2GB Corsair Dominator RAM, WD Raptor, eVGA 680i MB, eVGA 8800 GTX GPU).

I installed Windows XP Pro. Booted up for the first time and noticed that when I close a window Windows hangs up. I would say probably about 75% of the time my systems hangs for about 5 to 15 seconds when I close a window. The other 25% everything works fine.

The whole task bar at the bottom is frozen including the start button but I am able to click around on the desktop. When it "revives itself" it usually catches up with itself and makes the clicks that I tried to make when it was hung up.

If I had to guess I would think maybe it's Windows explorer, but i'm not sure what to try. I have already reinstalled Windows once and that didn't fix the problem...(unless it's a driver that I installed afterwards).

Any other thoughts on what it might be that is causing this?

Thanks in advance.

check your temps, specially on new builds if you dont have the heatsink and fan on correctly the chip overheats and acts this way.

if thats ok, check all your other vitals on your system. and make sure everythings up to par.

How hot is too hot? Right now my system board is 34 degrees and my CPU is 54 degrees.

For my CPU I am running an ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler with the thermal compound that came on it. Should I change that to something better?

that is pretty hot but not tooo hot. is that on idle ? cuz if it idles on that then when it loads its going to heat up and thats when its going to get too hot.

too hot is around 73c or 165f +

but if that temp is on load then you should be ok but it would be better a little cooler.

reseat the CPU and heat sink.

run Hard drive Tach you can google it, and see if your hard drive is giving an abnormal reading for the kind of hard drive you have. your hard drive could be causing the lag if not your temps.

My first inclination would be to check your video drivers. It sounds like you need to upgrade them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom