New Computer Hangs Up - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-13-2007, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6
Default New Computer Hangs Up

Here is my situation.

I just put together a new computer (Quad Core QX6700, 2GB Corsair Dominator RAM, WD Raptor, eVGA 680i MB, eVGA 8800 GTX GPU).

I installed Windows XP Pro. Booted up for the first time and noticed that when I close a window Windows hangs up. I would say probably about 75% of the time my systems hangs for about 5 to 15 seconds when I close a window. The other 25% everything works fine.

The whole task bar at the bottom is frozen including the start button but I am able to click around on the desktop. When it "revives itself" it usually catches up with itself and makes the clicks that I tried to make when it was hung up.

If I had to guess I would think maybe it's Windows explorer, but i'm not sure what to try. I have already reinstalled Windows once and that didn't fix the problem...(unless it's a driver that I installed afterwards).

Any other thoughts on what it might be that is causing this?

Thanks in advance.
__________________

mcclellanfsu is offline  
Old 02-13-2007, 03:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
King X13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 987
Send a message via AIM to King X13
Default

check your temps, specially on new builds if you dont have the heatsink and fan on correctly the chip overheats and acts this way.

if thats ok, check all your other vitals on your system. and make sure everythings up to par.
__________________

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
King X13 is offline  
Old 02-13-2007, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6
Default

How hot is too hot? Right now my system board is 34 degrees and my CPU is 54 degrees.

For my CPU I am running an ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler with the thermal compound that came on it. Should I change that to something better?
mcclellanfsu is offline  
Old 02-13-2007, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
King X13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 987
Send a message via AIM to King X13
Default

that is pretty hot but not tooo hot. is that on idle ? cuz if it idles on that then when it loads its going to heat up and thats when its going to get too hot.

too hot is around 73c or 165f +

but if that temp is on load then you should be ok but it would be better a little cooler.

reseat the CPU and heat sink.

run Hard drive Tach you can google it, and see if your hard drive is giving an abnormal reading for the kind of hard drive you have. your hard drive could be causing the lag if not your temps.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
King X13 is offline  
Old 02-13-2007, 06:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 157
Default

My first inclination would be to check your video drivers. It sounds like you need to upgrade them.
__________________
Eagles can soar but weasles don\'t get sucked in to jet engines
RyanS is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.