New & better PC, but slower speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sicher Doch

Beta member
Hi all !

I recently bought myself a Compaq CQ5110F PC (AMD Athlon 7550 Dual Core Processor 2.50 GHz; 3.00GB memory; 32-bit operating system). The PC came with Windows Vista.
My previous PC (running on XP) had about half the "goodies" of the new PC, but the internet browsing speed was decent. The motherboard died, so I bought the new PC.
Once I set up the new PC I was shocked how slow I was able to surf the internet. It felt like half the speed I had before when I expected something much faster.
I just ran a speed test and the result is Download = 3.586 Mbps // Upload = 403.63 kbps. I do have DSL Extreme (6.0 I believe), so it should be much faster.
Since I always heard the worst of Vista I initially blamed it on that. But once I received the Windows 7 upgrade it did not speed it up either.
As with my previous PC I have Antivir and Spybot Search and Destroy installed.

I do have another PC on the same Netopia modem (Dell, XP Pro w/ service pack 3; intel pentium 4; CPU 3.00GHz, 504MB RAM) which allows way faster surfing even though the speed test shows the same upload/download speed.

I tried several things to solve the issue:

1) download Firefox (improved speed, but not too much). I'm IE and Firefox now
2) tried to update Firmware for Netopia modem (didn't let me update, but it's scheduled to do that automatically anyways)
3) remove Norton (no improvement)
4) changed settings in NVIDIA from "auto negotiation" to "100Mb Full Duplex"
(a little improvement I think. I tried all other settings, too, but 100Mb full duplex seems to work best)
5) I pay extra for tech support through AT&T and granted them remote access to find the error, but they couldn't find the culprit either

Is it possible that my router can't handle XP on 1 PC and Windows 7 on the other at the same time ?
Or is there anything in Vista/7 security settings which slows it down ?

I am clueless and I'd highly appreciate any suggestions on how I can get up to speed !

Thanks in advance !

Thx for your reply !
My Dell is much faster than the Compaq. And I know that the old PC (eMachines) I had was much faster as well (eventhough it didn't have much RAM, was jam packed with stuff, and was a cheap PC when I bought it 3-4 years ago).

It could be the indexing. It could also be the dreaded WMP Network Sharing that has caused much pain for many. Right click on the super bar and select Task Manager. Is there a service with the name close to wmpntwrkshar or something close that is eating up a lot of CPU Cycles?

@ pantonb: I bought it beginning of October with Vista installed. I got my free Windows 7 upgrade end of October and installed it. There was no improvement of speed.

@Mak213: I do not see "wmpntwrkshar" or similar in processes, but wmplayer.exe is using 33,060k of Memory right now. I also see something called TeaTimer.exe using 99,912k. Can I just close those 2 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom