Never goes into sleep mode/hibernate

mr.birdy

Baseband Member
so my electricty bill has been kinda high lately.trying to find the cause of the vampire just sucking my wallet dry.last thing i can think of is my computer.lately its been having this weird issue where it never goes into sleep mode.you tell it to do so.but it imadeatly turns back on once shut off.now the motonitor stays off but the actual tower itself does not.i tried googling common causes for this and most of the guides told me about the same stuff here

Windows 7 does not go to sleep

but its not that.the only thing i have running that this calls is my keyboard and my infared controller(my tv tuner remote reciver)...i turned these off anyways and never saw a change so they are back on.

not a clue what else it could be.i mean maybe a virus?it doesnt fight me to go into sleep mode...just turns itself back on....im lost and really could use some help

specs

Win7
althelon x4 630
1tb hdd 5400 rpm
combo cd dvd drive
6gb ram
ati7950
700w psu

IMO:
1> a process/service is stopping the PC from going into sleep mode.
[ had a similar issue sometime back - the culprit was a damaged but active screensaver - try to disable the screensaver & see if that works ]

2> a key is stuck or the mouse/touch-pad has become falsely sensitive due to grime, dirt etc.

For hibernate: check if hibernation is enabled.

hibernate is enabled and i played with all power saver settings so it isnt any of that.

ill clean my mouse and disable my screen saver when i get home later.hope it works

ok soooo cleaning the mouse and disabling the screen saver stoped it from turning back on....

...but when i put it to sleep mode.it will shut off than turn back on after about 2 minutes..than turn back off

and when i try to get it to hibernate it never does.

still not sure whats keeping it awake but we are getting it closer.

for sleep issue try this:
kill all the user processes except explorer & then try the sleep mode.

for hibernation issue:
check to see if the hibernate file exists in the C drive.

Back
Top Bottom