Networking with Quickbooks software - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Networking with Quickbooks software

A business that I'm working with has 2 PC's. The are not networked in any form right now. On one PC, Quickbooks Pro and Point of Sale are installed. The owner wants to be able to access Quickbooks on the other PC as well. If I nework these two PC's together, would they be able to open Quickbooks if I mapped a shortcut on the PC without Quickbooks to the .exe file on the PC that does have Quickbooks? Thanks for your help.

Bert

Old 07-26-2005, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

no. You would need to have it installed on both machines so that you can access it from either. You don't just need the .exe anymore. Even with the correct path, it's not enough. There are registry pointers, .ini files and a whole spread of other files you need to have correctly pointed before an app will work. Secondly, the program it's self is a perseat program. meaning that it's lisensed to only one machine, that is then validated through an update process.
The only way to do it, would be to offer some kind of a remote control option over the other machine. Remote Desktop Connection with XP would work, as well as a whole list of other applications that can do remote control. the problem is that you have to take over the session/share it with another person if they are logged on, so that it's running off the other machine.

hope that explains it...

Good luck

Old 07-26-2005, 10:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

yes, thanks for your response. I looked up on Quickbooks support site and you are able to install the app on two machines with only one license. I will be doing that. Thanks for your help!
Old 07-26-2005, 10:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to TheHeadFL

Last time I used quickbooks/etc there was some kind of sharing deal involved with them. Like only one machine at a time could have write access to the books.
Linux: P3 450Mhz, 386MB ram, Slackware 10.1 (Running mySQL/Apache)
Old 07-27-2005, 09:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Yeah, you can have the software installed on two PC's with just the single user license but you can't be in the program at the same time.