Networking Issue - Win XP Pro SP1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knowledge

Baseband Member
I have been on a small home network for years and everything has worked perfectly. There are six computers in my house, all connecting to a Linksys wireless router, and that connects to a cable modem. We can all share files back and forth with no problems...

Then the other day, on my computer which is wired not wirelessly connected to the router, I tried playing around with proxies. Bottom line is I didnt do what I needed to do at the time, and something got screwed up with all of my network sharing on my pc.

Even though all of my hard drives still say they are "shared" nobody else on my network can see me, and when I go to My Network Places I cant see anybody else on our workgroup either which is MSHOME.

I tried running the network wizard again, and still nothing.

Any ideas on how to get this working? TIA.

disable your proxies and use autmatically configure script

of manually configure your machine. use CMP to ipconfig to see your ip.

I have disabled my proxies... I reset my browser to use my default connection and everything.

How do I manually configure my machine to be on my network? And why would I need my IP? I know my IP, both behind my router and outside it.... What will this do for me?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but to be honest I am having a hard time understanding your post.

ping your ip from your other computers

here the ipconfig (Your ip address)

Ipconfig.jpg

not good.

try this open your web browser on the messed up computer . type your default gateway ip address in (usually something like http://192.168.2.1/)

RouterSettings.jpg

click restore factory defaults.
if that isn't it. I don't know what to tell you. call your ISP

You think it has something to do with the router?

I personally think it had something to do with my network settings in Windows. I was hoping to find some kind of common problem with proxies and networking....

I hoping that the router will reset your ip.

have you tried unistalling your network drivers and rebooting windows and letting them reinstall themselves? or unplug all modems, routers and computers for 5 minutes then turn them back on

I tried resettting the router, and unpluggin it... both didnt work.

Also when I try to access my workgroup I get a dialog box saying that I might not have permission...

I know its a setting, I just dont know where.

Wow... I feel super super dumb... It was my Windows Firewall. Something turned it on... Now that I turned it off again, like usual, everything is fine.

Thanks for the help, I really do apreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom