Networked printer issue

iamloco724

In Runtime
I have a few different desktops and laptops, I have a printer connected via usb to a recently upgraded windows 10 machine, I also have an old basic desktop that is still running windows xp, I can no longer access the printer on the windows 10 pc through the xp computer. All the sharing is enabled on the printer end, i go to readd the printer to my xp pc and its asking for username and password which doesnt exist. I read that xp and 10 might not work together with workgroups, how else can i add this networked printer to my xp pc?

So, my first question is why are you still using Windows XP?

That aside, sharing a printer over the network that is connected via USB is a huge pain in the rear end. If you can connect it directly to the network instead, that's the best way to go.

If you have to stay with USB sharing, you need to check and make sure that the Win10 and WinXP computers are on the same work group. By default, WinXP is set to MSHOME and Win10 is set to WORKGROUP. Instructions for that are here: How to change your Computer Name (or Workgroup) in Windows XP - Simple Help

I also see that you say you can "no longer" access the printer. Were you able to at one point? Did you change or install something?

Homegroups are NOT compatible with XP. As MidnightShadow said, you need to make sure both machines are in the same Workgroup.

Create a user on the XP machine. Then add that user when prompted to add the printer. Make sure you use the XP machine's name when specifying the username. For instance, if your XP machine's name is tron and the username is bill, specify the username in the prompt as tron\bill. Hopefully, that will get you going.

Back
Top Bottom