Network User Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

[ Garett ]

Solid State Member
Hey, I want to know how to setup "Network Users" so on a server I can configure a password and user and have each directory as a user being able at the Windows XP Professional Log In screen to type their User Name, and Password and connect with their files anywere on a LAN sorrta like "Web Lockers"

Thanks.
Garett

You can do mapped drives with specific shares assigned to each user. Then you run a login script on the machine and have a setup that uses thier username as the share locaiton and run a Net use (Drive)\(Username) and have that run every time they log in. That should solve the problem your looking at. If you need more help just ask.

I want to know how to run a "login script" and make it so i can log in under the network drive.

But, thanks for telling me what to do.
Please reply
Garett

If you go into Start -> Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management, you can choose System Tools -> Local Users and Groups to display the users. If you double-click on a user to bring up their properties and then click the Profile tab, you'll see a place where you can enter the path to a login script.

Also, it looks like the Connect button let's you automatically map a drive to a network share. Further, I'd bet you can set the user's home to a folder on that mapped drive using a system variable %username% as part of the "To:" string. Something like \\net-serve\%username% should do that (where "net-serve" is the name of your network file serving machine).

If you don't have "Administrative Tools" on your Programs menu, you might see it via the Control Panel. Otherwise, right-click on your toolbar and pick Properties. On the Start menu tab, click Customize. If you are an administrator on that machine, you'll see Display Administrative Tools on the list of check boxes. Check it so that it appears.

But one more question.

How do I make it so that Network User can be accessed on another computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom