Network Sharing Permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cikrum

Baseband Member
Hello,
I Have two computers one Xp Home, One Vista home premium. I would like to share Documents between the computers on the network. The Sharing from the Vista to the Xp is fine. but the xp to vista doesn't work. I can see the XP computer with my Vista Laptop, but I am unable to view any of the shared folders on the computer because it says I don't have sufficient permissions. Due to working with XP Home I am not the administrator so I went to admin under safe mode and looked at the security of the Drive I am sharing. It said everyone has full permission. I believe that might mean only all users, not network computer as well. I am not sure what to do from here ,any help would be great.
Thanks
Cikrum

I actually had this problem as well...however mine were XP Pro and Vista Business...I found that when I disabled simple file sharing on the XP machine vista was then able to communicate with the shares without problems. You do have file sharing enabled already I am assuming?

sometimes, it can be a firewall blocking communications as well if one is reading and the other is not. check in your firewall program to ensure that both IP addresses are listed on each others allowed list. Good Luck!

sometimes, it can be a firewall blocking communications as well if one is reading and the other is not. check in your firewall program to ensure that both IP addresses are listed on each others allowed list. Good Luck!

aghh you know now that you mention it that was part of the problem as well! the XP SP2 firewall didnt have the "file and print sharing" exception checked. good call.

Well my XP machine is XP Home so I can't change it from simple file sharing, and it doesn't have any firewall running other than a router. I can access other computers on the network fine, but no other computers have been able to access mine which leads me to believe it is not a problem with the network itself. Although I don't currently have a firewall I believe it could be a Firewall problem because I have had some installed before, such as Norton, Bit Defender, and Panda. My file sharing had worked before I installed the firewalls and I was able to get files from my xp computer. But of course the firewalls blocked all sharing( which was ok then) but when I removed the firewalls the sharing was still blocked. I have removed all of the firewalls a while back (I didn't have them all on at the same time )but what makes me think this could be the problem is the fact I am not able to change whether my windows firewall is enabled or not. It simply is disabled and both options a grayed out. Could be the old firewall hanging somewhere just to annoy me?
Thanks a lot
Cikrum

hmm strange...sure could be. As simply as it sounds I would run the Windows XP home networking setup wizard. Match the info with that of the vista machine and it will be sure things are correct for ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom