Network printer setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

24giovanni

Banned
I have a HP deskjet 3820 printer which is hosted on my win98 SE computer. I am trying to set it up so I can use the printer as a network computer so I can use it on my win 2000 server computer as well but I am not sure how to do it. Can someone help me out. I appreciate any help.

are you running a wireless network? if so look into a wireless print server
if not... i don't think win 98 se can share a printer for the purpose that you are trying to use it for

What I have done is setup my win98 machine with my printer/drivers and whatnot. I've set the printer up by right clicking on the computer selected share option and placed the letters HP next to share name. I noticed it is set up to share because there is a hand under the printer signifing it is setup to share. What do I need to do on my win 2000 server machine now?

You would need to go to add printer. then choose network printer thne browse to it. Sharing a printer this way is kinda annoying. I currently do it but everytime I reboot computer I have to browse any directory on the other computer and enter username and password then I can print. Good Luck.`

evelmunkey said:
You would need to go to add printer. then choose network printer thne browse to it. Sharing a printer this way is kinda annoying.

I tried doing it that way but it/s not taking and I can't figure out why.

If I type \\server_name\hp I can connect to the computer I am trying to print from but when I select print the pc looks for a local printer not network printer.

go to network neighbourhood and locate the printer. Rightclick> make default. or doubleclick and install drivers. U need to install the 2k drivers because it cannot use the 98 drivers from the 98 machine. You might have to use a different print spool procesor (or whatever its called) in the 2k's printer settings to be able to print at all.

(does this make sense :confused: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom