Network Help/ Windows Server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanP

Baseband Member
Hi,

Basically I start off with some back ground information. I thought that i would teach/play with windows server 2003. So i downloaded virtual PC 2007 to have a play.

Here's my problem, Windows server 2003 is all installed, I have also created another node (windows xp machine).

Now I know nothing about windows server, Actually nothing. Basically i want to set-up a network all via virtual PC. I want a small domain just with a few users to play with so i can grasp the basics.

Can someone please advise.

P.s. I know this wont be easy but i'm not the best reader of books, I like to play to learn.

Thanks for your help

You need to make that server you just built the domain..because this is the first server of the structure it will also act as the primary forest. You can run the network wizard to assign rolls. If you want this to be your "all-in-one" server then assign it the roll of Domain Controller, DNS, File Server, and DHCP. Each roll requires differnt steps, but the on screen instructions are pretty clear.

I tried running the wizards, and it keeps asking for me to set-up TCP/IP which i have done, I think i may have found the problem, Looking through the device manager in the server, Its not picking up a network adapter, So i dont know what to do. I cant install DCHP, DNS on the server

I can ping my loop back which means TCP/IP is installed, But thats about it. Looks like the learning curve continues. I say learning nothings really happening :eek:

Thanks for your help.

You usually get this error if you do not have a static IP address setup via tcp/ip configuration. You MUST have a static IP if this is to be a domain controller. Is this so? :)

The thing is i cant get to the TCP/IP settings, Could you point me in the correct direction of determin i'm not completley retared.
Thanks

Control Panel>Network Connections then right click on the adapter in question and select properties. Go to the protocols section and select TCP/IP and choose properties. There you configure a static address.

Win2kpatcher said:
Control Panel>Network Connections then right click on the adapter in question and select properties. Go to the protocols section and select TCP/IP and choose properties. There you configure a static address.

This is how i got there, but nothing. I think i may have found the problem, When i installed server on the PC it didnt install a network card, yet the xp machine did. So i dont know what happened there.
But i'm re-instaling server again. Fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom