network desktop access - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2015, 02:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default network desktop access

how do i get full access to pc over a network? Right now in homegroup i can only access music, pics and videos. I want to have access to desktop. thx

Old 12-24-2015, 02:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
The strange one

Default Re: network desktop access

Are you using Windows Home? You need a higher version of windows that has remote desktop. Then its just a feature you enable and use the Remote Desktop application to connect to the PC using local credentials.

Alternatively, you could also use other, non-windows based applications, such as VNC, Logmein, or Teamviewer.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I want to be able to access it though network icon. Do u know how to set it up so i can get it using win 10 pro?

thx
Old 12-24-2015, 11:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
The strange one

The target machine will be the machine you want to remote desktop into.
The remote machine will be the machine initiating the remote connection into your target machine.

*note* you'll need administrator rights to perform many of these actions

On the target machine go into advanced system settings ('Win + Pause/break' and its on the left sidebar).
Under the remote tab click the allow radio button for remote connections.
While you're here check the computer name tab and verify you accurately know your target computers name.

On the remote machine bring up run prompt (Win + R) then type mstsc in the text field and hit enter.
Remote desktop application will start - In the dialog box for 'computer', type the name of the target machine.
Click connect, at this time it may prompt you for credentials.
You want to make sure under the login fields it says the domain is the name of your target machine.
there are 2 possibilities
1- it does say the domain name as your target pc- in which case for the 'user' field just type the name of a user account that exists on the target machine. Specifically the one with the desktop that you wish to remotely control.
2- it does not say the correct domain name or it says no domain name at all- in this case you will login to the target computer using the name of the target computer as a prefix to your username, with a forward slash separating them.
an example where my target pc name is livingroom: livingroom/administrator

Once you successfully login then we can repeat part of the process to make you a network icon on your desktop to easily initiate the connection.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Private Joker

Are you wanting Remote Desktop access or just file-sharing access to the C:\Users\<username>\Desktop folder?

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote