Netowkr problems while installing XP Pro - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2005, 08:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Network problems while installing XP Pro

First post here, found this on the way to searching my problem on google :9 Hope some of you can help.

I have used this copy of WindowsXP SP2 (Original, not unattended or modified) on my 2nd computer, and everytime it installed fine. Last night I turned off my computer, restarted it, and it had no internet connection which is connected to my router. The other two connections are fine btw. So I checked aorund played around with every possible googled solution and nothing. Nothing worked. Since I don't have much on that computer, I formatted it and tried to install a copy of windows pro again.

It was all fine, picked the partition, formatted fine, copied the files over, and restared fine. Everything was fine, up until to the point where it installs the network connections. You know where it asks you the domain and workgroups or whatever. It doens't get to the point where it asks those information. It says installing network, and just stops in the middle, and the bar doens't move at all. I haven't got a clue what is wrong, as I keep googling, and all i get is network problems AFTER installing XP.

Here's a camera shot of where it got stuck..

Sorry, that it's not very clear, but hard to take pic of monitor

Please do help if you can. It's a really retarded problem.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Please list the system specs... is this a legit copy of XP???

Old 07-19-2005, 10:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz Hyperthread Technology
512 DDR
P4P800Vm Motherboard (built in network card)
256 Nvidia Video Card
Creative Audigy 2 ZS
160 GB Master hard drive
120 GB Slave HD

Legit copy of Windows XP Professional

I have installed many times on this without a problem. No idea what has happened.

Thanks for the reply
Old 07-19-2005, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to coolted

Try running the winsock xp fix should help a lot, mabye it a bad cable or port on router, or bad network card... all things to check
Old 07-19-2005, 10:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

Take out your network card unless its integrated
Old 07-19-2005, 10:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Right now it's formatted and doesn't have any windows. It stops at the above screen shot. Can't do much with GUI software unless it's in Dos or whatever where I can insert a floppy and check things.

And network card is integrated.

Is it possible to disable the onboard network card in bios? And then put a new network card on a PCI slot?
Old 07-19-2005, 11:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

try explore the bios settings i'm sure there is something there that will help, but i'm no expert at bios :|
lisp hacker :D
running: FreeBSD 5.4 - still learning :D
develop with: SBCL + emacs for lisp, Anjuta IDE +gcc for c, SPE for python..
browse with: opera
Old 07-20-2005, 01:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

The above suggestion is best: pull the nic card and install windows. Find the appropriate xp drivers for the Nic card, re-install the PCI nic and update the drivers for the card from the add/remove hardware section of the control panel or right click on the network icon and go to properites to update the driver. Try that. I'd like to know what you find.

Noli Nothis Permittere Te Terere!!
EVGA 680i, Dual EVGA 8800GT'S (650/950), 4 gigs OCZ DDR2 1066, Intel Q9450 at 3.8 Ghz, Koolance Water Cooled, Dual Plextor16x DL DVD+/-RW. Dual WD 250gb 16mb Cache Sata 3.0. 3DMark06 score = 19,168.
Closed Thread