NetBOIS Name and NetBOIS USer with CommView - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2006, 03:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default NetBOIS Name and NetBOIS USer with CommView

I get confuse between these terminologies:

I want to correct my understanding

1- If you look to the link below, I have got "Computer Name" (second windows) , and NetBOIS "computer name" (third winodws bottom) is obvious they are same, because if I changed the name in the second screen it will effect the third screen. Am I right ?

2- This link below also saying: that computername is an alias for NetBOIS name

3- The output of the "hostname" command when i used it from cmd is : NetBOIS name (computer name).

Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
(C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.NICEDELL>hostname

4- "hostname" command is different form the host file (%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\host),,,,Am I right ?

"The key technical difference is that WINS servers use NetBIOS names whereas DNS relies on hostname. For years I thought that NetBIOS and hostname were one and the same".

A- What does he mean by hostname here ? Isn't different form the "hostname" command that i have mentioned in point 4 ?

B- If it is different, we do not have hostname file within windows OS, we have got host file only (without the suffix name) which is : %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\host,,,,or does hostname file will be created when we have DNS enabled ?

6- We have got "NetBOIS Name" and "NetBOIS USer", what is the difference, see the link below:
Closed Thread