Need your guys opinion on what to do - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to V-tek
Default Need your guys opinion on what to do

Had a customer come in a while ago saying that his computer will not play the Sims 2, which was due to his computer not having a graphics card. I installed the graphics card and a higher wattage power supply to accomodate the GPU. Couple of months later he comes in saying that his computer freezes, which was due to his PSU, which the fan died. HE left his computer and i told him to order a PSU off of tigerdirect. 2 months went by, and he finally comes in with the PSU. Installed the PSU, and now the POST codes tell me that the Video Adapter is bad, great, so now i need to replace the GPU again. Replaced the GPU, SIMS worked alright, but it was still buggy, so i did my research and found out that the SIMS needed to be patched. So i uninstalled the SIMS, and tried to install it again but it had an error copying a file, which my thought was the CD drive laser, but next day i went on vacation for a week. So i told the other guy, who is my manager but he doesnt know his *** from a PC's, and told him to try to install the SIMS, while i was gone. I come back to work, he informs me that he had the customer buy another copy of the SIMS cause he thought the CD's were bad, and now Windows will not boot....i have no idea what he did. So the customer comes in yells at me, saying that i have no idea what im doing. Now im stuck with this computer, that im responsible for cause the other guy refuses to touch it cause im back...although when i left, it was working fine. Im stuck trying to reinstall windows, although it keeps saying it cant load or copy files, ive tried everything to fix it, replaced both HD and DVD Drives, IDE cables, and it still keeps saying that it cannot copy the files. I have no idea what the other guy did...but this guys computer will not install Windows....What you guys think i should do ?

Old 09-04-2006, 07:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

bad ram. run memtest86

Old 09-04-2006, 07:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to V-tek

Ah thank you, that was the problem, the ram was damaged. Thanks
Old 09-04-2006, 09:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

no problem
Old 09-04-2006, 09:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Law
Wizard Techie

LOL..nice. This guy's computer part is dying one by one no? You should punch him in the head for screaming at you. J/k
Old 09-04-2006, 10:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

i had the exact same problem on a computer i fixed recently, although i was convinced it was the CDrom cause it sounded like it was having trouble reading. but eventualy it did work but on the reset after copying the files for installing windows...it came up with a blue screen. i Replaced the memory and all was good.

Closed Thread