Need Spyware Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lavenderAC

In Runtime
Hi, I have just built a new comp and installed winxp two days ago. And I already got all the spyware and some other craps.

I installed Norton Anti Virus right after I installed XP and also I installed lavasoft adware, spybot S&D, google toolbar. But still, I keep getting all the annoying popups. Whenever I leave my computer and come back later, there will be like 6, 7 IE browsers opened with nothing in it. Also, everytime I do adware scan and spybot scan, I will always find infected parts and have to delete them. (For adware, "tracked cookies, etc". For spybot, "Advertise.com, ADIOS.com, etc"). Very very annoying.

I am planning to reinstall XP right away. But I am wondering what should I do to fix them if it happens again? And how do I prevent these shi!ts?

Thanks~

i don't think you need to reinstall xp, but when you run spybot s&d make sure you use the immunize thing. as for the popups, i use the prog popupblock which kills all those unwanted popups. it kills the actual popup window and not just the contents of the window.

make sure that you run the scan to download all the latest updates as well. This will ensure that you have the latest spyware definitions.

jaknlisa619 said:
i don't think you need to reinstall xp, but when you run spybot s&d make sure you use the immunize thing. as for the popups, i use the prog popupblock which kills all those unwanted popups. it kills the actual popup window and not just the contents of the window.

Where can I download prog popupblock? Thanks

ADZ said:
make sure that you run the scan to download all the latest updates as well. This will ensure that you have the latest spyware definitions.

Run the scan? How do I do that?

Thanks

for every program you have, you can download webupdates so that you have the latest definitions..look for a 'search for new updates' button (or something similar)

ADZ said:
for every program you have, you can download webupdates so that you have the latest definitions..look for a 'search for new updates' button (or something similar)

I see, can you recommend me a good browser to use? IE has been giving big headaches

OK what to do is:

Turn off Windows "System Restore" before running Spybot, or Adware 6. This prevents spybot infections from restoring themselves after you "think" you have removed them.

Also if you Run -> "msconfig" and enter the "Startup" tab this gives you the option to disable all programs that you dont want to run when your OS is booted. Obviously keep your Anti-virus/Firewall software still selected. You can disable all programs from booting up within the "Startup" tab only; the other tabs are quite dangerous.

lavenderAC said:
How do I turnoff System Restore? Thanks

System Restore For Windows XP:

1: Right click on the My Computer icon on your desktop and select properties.
2: Click on the system restore tab.
3: Check the box that says "Turn off system restore on all drives". Click OK.
4: Click Yes when you are prompted to restart the computer
5: To re-enable System Restore, follow steps 1-3, but in step 3, click to clear the Disable System Restore check box

Lobos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom