Need some help deleting this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pie Head

Baseband Member
Hello all, Been awhile! Got another question! I was uninstalling old games and stuff to tweak the preformance for Battlefield 2 as its a pretty demanding game.

At any rate I went to uninstall Battlefield Veitnam. After unistalling old games and what not I cleaned my registrey and defraged the comp. When I went and looked in Add and Remove programs Battlefield Vietnam is still there! Listed as only being 1.27 MB, When I try to uninstall this it says "An Installation support file could not be installed. They system cannot find the file specified" Well I assumed I would just reinstall the game and then uninstall it again. But It wont let me reinstall it the option is blacked out like its already on my computer and of course it wont let my play the game either!

So, What do I do!?...

Remove invalid entries in Add/Remove Programs
Sometimes when you uninstall a program, corresponding Add/Remove entry may not be removed. This may be due to incomplete uninstallation or the poorly designed uninstaller itself. To remove the invalid/orphaned entries from the Add/Remove applet manually.

Start Regedit.exe and locate the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Uninstall

Backup the branch to a file. See Method 2
Locate the corresponding software entry from the list and delete it
Close Registry Editor
There are some {GUID} sub-keys under the Uninstall key. Now what?
Under Uninstall you may see some {GUIDs}. Each {GUID} represents a software product that you've installed. Under the above key, click each {GUID} entry and verify the DisplayName shown in the right-pane. Once you locate the item that you want to remove from Add/Remove Programs, backup the entry to a REG file and then delete the key. BTW, the DisplayName string is reflected in the Add/Remove Programs applet.

Example: PC Inspector File Recovery has the GUID {0DD140D3-9563-481E-AA75-BA457CBDAEF2}
Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Uninstall \ {0DD140D3-9563-481E-AA75-BA457CBDAEF2}]

"DisplayName"="PC Inspector File Recovery"

Orphaned entries are those whose uninstallers are not available [but the registry entry might point to the actual uninstaller file]. You may also see errors like "missing install.log or uninstall.log" while trying to uninstall from Add/Remove Programs. The install.log / uninstall.log contains the uninstallation information about a program. When you remove a program from Add/Remove Programs, the log files come into play and remove the corresponding software entries from the registry and the files in the hard disk.

If the LOG files are missing, you may need to reinstall the application again (in the same path) and then try a clean uninstall again. In some cases, the application might be removed, but the entries may still exist in the Add/Remove Programs list. Orphaned entries are usually a result of a system restore rollback operation. Use the above method to remove the Uninstall entries.

Still unable to remove an entry?
If the program uses Windows Installer package, try the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove the installer information for that program, and also the corresponding Add/Remove programs entry.

Cleanup

Thanks, that worked like a charm!!!

But - Now Battlefield 2 wont work!!! It shows that it is fully installed, But when ever I pop in the disk it brings up the install. So I decided I would just uninstall it and it wont. It starts off like its going to uninstall then when the uninstall shield is initilized it just stops. And nothing comes up or happens. SO I figured I would reinstall it but the same thing happens. NOW, Oddly enough I can still pop in the disk and click the short cut and the game will load like normal. But when I get to selecting a game online it just loads like it gonna take me into the game for like 2 maybe 3 seconds then puts me back on the selection screen.

-EDIT-
Nevermind, I got it figured out. Thanks for the previous help!!! Peace!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom