need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

babyblue10

Baseband Member
My computer had 2 drive. 1 drive(window 98) is for my sister and the other is for me( window xp Pro) so it basically a multi-boot up. Question:-

1. If i reformat my drive and wanted 2-3 partition drive
(so that my drive will not be messy) which should i choose Fat or NTFS type? Issit both type is suitable?

2. Do i need the bootdisk to create the partition (is Fdisk included inside) ?

I have no answer to your question, but i do have a question for you. Why does your sister not use XP Pro as well? Or, why would she want to use Windows 98 if there is a copy of XP Pro on board? Just use like different log-ins.

jaksback said:
don't trust your sis or something not to screw up your comp?

i had to admit that it something lik this :p but basically i need someone to answer my question and not asking me something i feel rather not so important :rolleyes:

Ps:- forgive me if i m wrong

babyblue10 said:

1. If i reformat my drive and wanted 2-3 partition drive
(so that my drive will not be messy) which should i choose Fat or NTFS type? Issit both type is suitable?

2. Do i need the bootdisk to create the partition (is Fdisk included inside) ?

1. NTFS if your keeping the winxp partition.
2. Yes. You can also download a bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com OR download a boot disk and install the files on the win98 drive then just boot into dos on the win98 drive and goto the folder and run fdisk on the other drive. You will lose all info on it.

also as far as not trusting your sis to screw your computer up if you put 2 partitions on the harddrive and install two different xp installations then all she would mess up would be her partition.

1. doesn't make much difference. Both will work but NTFS has more options. (unless u want to install 95 or 98 on the partition...they both only run on fat/32)
2.i would reccomend Partition Magic

Yeah but the NTFS will give her faster file access and trust me that makes all the differences in some cases. I got 2k on this machine im working on with 2 hd's one non ntfs and its much much slower than the other one.

FAT32 is faster than NTFS, as if you arent on Network, no need for NTFS, i'm running my drives on FAT32.

anyway, as required by topic starter's pvt message, i'll write process of partitioning via DOS prompt.

reboot your system with system disk (DOS), make sure you have FORMAT command in bot disk.

on command prompt, write: fdisk and press enter.

you'll be presented with option, (Large file support, click YES)

then there'll be 4 options, click, 4, and see partition information. and then come to previous menu, and pressDELETE PARTITIONS

after partitions have been deleted, better is to restart system. (you'll find it asking for volume label (this if you have, you might find it written in partition information)

after system restart, again press Y in first screen.

select 1 (create primary dos partition)

and it'll take some time, when it'll sak weather to assign all space, select N (NO) and then it'll again go through this reading process, and when asked, give exactlly 8192 (that makes 8GB as primary) as FAT32 canot afford mor than 8GB a primary disk.

again come to very first menu, and press again (create dos primary/exteneded partition, 1) an then press 2 (extended dos partition).

here, you'll create extended DOS partition for rest of the space. and it'll ask for defining logical drives in extended dos partition, here is your choice, weather you wnt to make 1,2-10 partitions, as when you'll create partition, it'll again go through this scanning process, so that to allocate space left.

keep in mind, that this logical drice is again refeerred as 100% space, so if like you have 40GB h/d, 8 GB allocated to primary, rst you'll be left with say 32GB, in logical drive partitioning, you can asing this space as like 50% and 50% that will make 2 drives of 16GB, or you can as well assign in terms of MB, like make D as 10GB and rest E as 22GB or whatever, but these alues are in MB rather than GB.

after all space has been alocated to drives. once again go to main menu, and then select, select active partition, make C drive as active partition.

get out of this fdisk utility. pressing esc key, reboot system with system disk, and then start formatiing hard drives. by command format c: , format d: and so on.

it'll take some time formatting hard drives, bigger the partition is, more time it'll take to format the drive.

once all hard drives formatted. you are now ready to install whatever you want.

I have made 8GB of primary partitions on my both drives, and I have installed only the operating system on both primary partitions., thais gives more space for page file. and installation ar done in other drives for softwares.

if this process looks difficult, the you can bring your pc at my place (as if u r in london), or you can call me as well for live help, again as if you are in london. or whatever u find convinient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom