Need to replace an OS in a dual boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
I want to replace XP with Win7 in my dual boot. I am in process of moving what files I want from the XP partition, but I need some guidance on how to pull this off without screwing up the boot or my Vista installation.

I figure 75 gigs should be enough to test drive Seven.

Anyway, give me some feedback. Links would be good. ;)

It is real easy. Win7 can format the XP Drive and install right to that. From there is should auto add Vista to the boot menu and create your dual boot.

It might still have the entry for XP but that can be removed with EasyBCD.

Issue resolved with no links needed. :p

That sounds plausible. I will give it a shot once I get Win7 burned. My burner is shot, so I have to transfer it to my wife's computer to burn it... :(

It sounds harder than it is mate. Can even go a step further and use GParted to format the drive first. Then boot into Vista and remove the XP Entry there. That way the system is only set for Vista when you go to install.

The only issue i see there is XP is more than likely the boot drive. So some work would have to be done to do that.

But just do what i said above and it should all work out with little to no hassle.

yeah replacing xp is easy. vista should be too since they (vista, windows 7) work off of the same principle

Easy as long as XP isn't the boot drive ;) that part being key, but if it would do an upgrade that would work out fine, but think it only upgrades from Vista.

XP and Vista are on the same drive. XP was on it originally, but Vista sort of took it over when I installed it. Hopefully I will get to give this a shot sometime over the weekend.

Easy as long as XP isn't the boot drive ;) that part being key, but if it would do an upgrade that would work out fine, but think it only upgrades from Vista.

???

it's also easy if xp is the boot drive. it always easier if you install from a computer that has an earlier OS

ok, to better explain.. if you had XP on partition 1 and then put Vista on partition 2.. Partition 1 holds the boot records for both OS 1 and 2.. so you decide to install something else on partition 1 and formating it in the process, now your boot record has been wiped for both partition 1 and 2 so unless Easy BCD or similar can recreate the boot files to point to partition 2 plus your new OS on partition 1, you will have to reinstall both OS's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom