Need to reformat xp drive after Windows 7 install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright mak. When I first restarted it put my right into windows 7. Now I had to restart today to update itunes to 9.0.6 and it came up with the boot selection screen but xp is no longer on the other drive.

I've been looking at google and windows 7 forums. Can I really delete my boot.ini file? Cause I go into there to look with notepad and it says boot.ini is only used by windows xp and earlier versions. Is that what is causing it to go to that screen sometimes?

What files should I or need to delete or modify to get this **** boot selection screen to stop coming up.

Post 9 talks about how to remove the XP entry. Post 13 talks about the boot.ini file. ;)

You can remove the file. It isnt needed.

He doesn't have internet atm so I have to relay information.

he says he deleted the boot.ini like you said, but when he restarts it now says boot manager missing.

So he boots into the windows 7 DVD and trys to do a startup repair, and it says Cannot perform automatic recovery.

So, what does he have to do in recovery console?

Note, Windows XP is no longer present, the 500 GB drive was formated, it only contains data now, only windows 7 is installed on the TB drive.

Well I tried the boot recovery from command prompt all 4 types, and it didn't work. I'm getting extremely irritated but not angry. This is getting rediculous. I might just reinstall windows 7 with boot from cd/dvd if more things fail.

Ok. I found on windows 7 a solution a lot of other people are having when they are doing the same thing as me. I can rebuild the boot bcd store and all boot files by typing a command in command prompt. I'm doing that right now and I'll let you know how it goes.

Guys I did it! Yes! I fixed it! I love myself AND windows again. hahaha

Ok I need it just to boot to windows 7. In response to steve the command was

Bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
Bootrec /rebuildbcd

I don't have any previous versions of windows installed but if I do press enter on that selection it says there are no os's detected on this hd. Please restart or install an os. Everything else is fixed by the way.

I did think that the BCD might have to be rebuilt. I made mention of it in post 13. It was toward the very end. My fault for not linking you to the information about how to rebuild the BCD in case it was needed. I am so sorry for that.

Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

It is in there steps 3 and 4 which would have been benficial for me to post before. Again sorry for my lack of thought for not posting it. Glad it is all sorted now and working again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom