Need a little advice before reformatting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coffee999

Beta member
Thanks to System Mechanics, I may have messed my registry. I should have known. Now I might re-install Windoes and need some advice.

My set up is this:
2 local HD's. XP. I also back everything up on 2 external HD's so I'm fairly safe from losing any files.

HD (I) has Windows and all programs installed.
HD (C) has 6 partitions and holds all my user files.

Questions:
1. If I reinstall windows on (I) or what ever letter it is given upon install, will my (C) drive be safe from being wiped out clean?

2. Should I disconnect (C) before re-install or will it not matter?

3. After re-install, I'm assuming any new program that is new on (I) will recognize the corresponding user file on (C).

4. I also have the Vista upgrade disc. Has Vista gotten any better since it came out in that I shouldn't be too afraid to go to that now? I installed Vista when I was gaming, and it caused problems. I no longer game. I know this question is subjective, but what's your opinion on the condition of Vista now as compared to when it was released?

5. Would you suggest wiping out both drives and starting over completely? How would one wipe the second drive that doesn't have windows on it? Is it just a matter of deleteing the files?

6. Is there a better way to organize my files and programs beside how I did it? Another words, should I have put Windows on it's own drive, and installed the programs and user files on the other? And if so, should I put the programs on it own partition on the second drive in the event there is a problem with that partition?

7. I'm assuming everything USB related should be unplugged before the re-install of Windows right? I use a wireless keyboad and mouse. Should I go back to the wired versions for the re-install and switch it back, or doesn't this matter?

8. I've re-installed windows many many time in the past 15 years or so, so I'm not new to it, but any advice or helpful hints you can give me before I pull the trigger would be great. I just want to get this right so that in the event I have to do another re-install in the future, I can do it as easily and quickly as possible without giving me a mental breakdown. :) And any help given is very much appreciated. Thank you

1. Yes.

2. You could but shouldnt matters.

3. No. Windows will have its own files on the drive that you install it to and you will have to correspond it to your user files yourself.

4. Vista has been fine for a long time. Use it if you wish. Everyone has their own opinion of it. I used it when it was released and loved it love it more after SP1 and SP2 makes it even better.

5. This can be done with any number of tools. The thread that says Read First has a few of them listed in the Recommended Software for Certain Tasks. You co do this if you wish.

6. You can do it which ever way is easier for you. We all have our own style which works for us. I have 3 HDD's and several partitions on each. I seperate my Documents, from my pictures, from my movies and so on. I find it easier to do that and have that totally seperate from Windows completely so no matter what OS i am using i can use those files.

7. Yes. Everything but keyboard & Mouse.

8. Best thing i can advise is to check out Read First topic for some very good hints about backing up drivers, how to make a custom install disc, get some of your common programs you use downlaoded now and put on a USB Thumb Drive/External Drive for keeping for after the install so you can just go on a massive install spree at once.

Other than that not much else that can be said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom