Need to Know how to make a Bootable DOS partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

-RockMan-

Banned
How do I make a bootable DOS partition ? I already created a FAT32 75MB partition on my HDD and copied all of the DOS 6.22 files to it using acronis, but for some reason acronis OS selector does not see the parttition and only gives me the option to boot to windows xp pro. I would use a floppy drive to boot up DOS but the blasted drive is giving me problems. plus I need to fix a bad msiflashed DVD-RW via through DOS

You need to do an actual install for the MBR to be edited properly.
You could try adding the "boot" files (config.sys, io.sys, command.com) directly to the partition, and running fixmbr from windows recovery console, but I've never tried it that way...

exactly what he said, but if you have ms-dos 6.22 or below, you need a fat16 partition. also, here are the files you need for it to work:

config.sys(loads drivers as well as video and other system info)
io.sys(has something to do with a link to the bios I think, not sure)
autoexec.bat(I think it can run without it, but is very useful to have it)
command.com(the most important system file, interprets commands and just about everything else)

you can get these basic files from http://www.allbootdisks.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=42&func=selectfolder&filecatid=1 download it and install it to a disc and just copy all the files from the floppy into the root of the drive and make your own autoexec.bat if it isn't already on there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom