need to install new OS but i cant!! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2004, 10:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Impossible to install new OS

It is almost a stupid sequence of difficulties ive overcome in trying to get to windows 2000 from windows ME.

when i first installed windows 2000 i mistakenly reformatted to NTFS. then i tried putting in a video card that takes a 8x AGP slot and i found out i only have a 4x. it then automatically uninstalled all my drivers and now im left with 16 colors because my system files are all left in shambles. in add/remove programs it gives me a line error and it does not show up any programs. and many things do not work any more, my display settings wont show up either.

now i managed to put a CD burner into the computer to take out all my files and then format the computer.

i then proceeded to try and make a startup disk, but because of NTFS my floppy drive wont work! i connected everything and made sure everything was in the motherboard and the floppy drive shows the green LED. and in hardware wizard it says it is operated properly. i try putting in a floppy in it and it tells me there is no floppy. i also have tried putting multiple different floppy drives and none of them work.

Now I cannot operate the computer properly.

Old 06-05-2004, 10:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via AIM to Win2kpatcher

you can boot from the CD..floppy is old though if you have win2k or winxp there is no need for a bootup disk anymore.

Old 06-05-2004, 10:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

so after i formatted, i can boost from the D:// in DOS?
Old 06-05-2004, 11:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via ICQ to RoyalW Send a message via AIM to RoyalW Send a message via Yahoo to RoyalW

What Win2k means is stick the cd in the drive and set your boot sequence in your bios to your cd drive first.
Assuming its an original ((or) bootable) 2k CD it will boot up and you just follow the instructions.
If you have only the cab files (i386? (not sure about that, I know thats what it is for xp anyway) and the cd aint bootable then you got to either find a bootable cd that gets you into the command prompt or fix da floppy.

If the floppy light is on constantly then the floppy cable is on upside down somewhere... change it.
If not, is it possible just to make a boot disk from another PC?
Windows XP Pro 2002 (SP2)

Intel Northwood 2.4GHz
Compaq Evo D510 SFF
768MB DDR PC2100
Intel 82801 (AC\'97)
C: 40GB (FAT32)
Old 06-06-2004, 09:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to poipo

just boot from the cd im sure it will work. if it doesnt not try to boot from the cd you will have to change your boot options in your bios.
AMD Athlon XP Barton 2800+
Gigabyte GA-7N400-L
ATI AIW Radeon 9700
Crucial 512 pc 3200
Maxtor 80 GB w/ 8meg cache
PD 4x Dual Format DVD burner
52x CD burner

Dual booted with WinXP Pro and Fedora Core 2
Closed Thread