Need insight with Win7 video issue on older laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Seattle

Beta member
Hi all,

I decided (don't ask) to install win7 32bits on my 5 year old Sharp Mebius laptop. Install went fine, except it didn't recognize the video card, which is a VIA/S3G Unichrome IGP. Instead, it shows "Standard VGA Adapter".
The issue is while 7 lets me increase the resolution beyond 800x600 (the card can go up to 1600x1200), what it does is make the desktop go huge, to where I can't see the start menu anymore. Seems that selecting 1600x1200 only makes the desktop twice as big...although the resolution quality definitely seem to improve.

Since there are no Vista/7 drivers for that chipset (I searched, I really searched), is there a tweak that would enable me to increase the resolution? I even tried to install XP drivers in compatibility mode, but needless to say that didn't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated since I'm running out of ideas :)
Thanks!
G

Ok, you would need to reduce the resoulution to 800X600 until you find more updated drivers for vista that "might" be able to work under compatibilty mode.
Also be aware that YOU CAN shrink the taskbar a litttle bit by right clicking and click on properties to bring up a menu for you to tweak the taskbar.

unfortunately there will never be updated drivers...just too old.
I guess I'll switch back to XP then :(
Thank you for your fast replies!

Well, talk about lucky...I tried a very last attempt and found an XP compatible driver!!!!! The only issue is that it's detecting the monitor as being 1024x768 only, but I'll look for a solution!

An XP Compatible driver will do you no good. You will need at least a Vista Compatible Driver. Win7 is more toward Vista than it is XP. There is a major code difference between Vista/Win7 and XP. If you had trouble finding a XP driver, the chances you will find a driver for Vista/Win7 are going to be close to zero.

So your best option will be to go back to XP.

After a bit of a struggle, I finally managed to find drivers which work under win7. For those interested, I used: VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro II IGP - Free Windows Review

It "works", except that Win7 detects the laptop resolution as being 1024x768, instead of its real 1600x1200. As a result, S3display also indicates 1024x768 TFT.
I tried to force the 1600x1200 Windows LCD driver, but if I increase beyond 1024x768, the dekstop only gets bigger, instead of increasing in resolution, and S3display still shows 1024x768.

Am I missing something? Under XP, the resolution was fine.
Can I somehow (registry, .ini) force 1600x1200? I tried Powerstrip, but to no avail.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom