Need Help working on a Win98 SE box - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to BubbaGump69
Default Need Help working on a Win98 SE box

A friend of mine has another friend that is having problems with her computer. It's a win98 se. I have no idea why she never bought a new one yet. Anyway she says she is having problems with this one so I said I would look at it. I played with it a little at her house and she showed me that the active desktop recover was showing. I didn't ask her too many questions. I just told her I'd make sure it was virus free and clean it up if needed. She did give me all the reinstall cd's if necessary. I took it home and put the hd in my xp machine as a slave. I scanned it with avg, spybot, adaware. I cleaned up a few things but nothing much. I took it out, reinstalled it in her box and booted it up. Worked fine. Not too bad for a 8 year old system. It has a 20 gb hd and she is only using 2gb. She said she was having problems loading a program and wanted to see if I could make some space. Well obviously it had the space. I think I have it working right. My question is about new software and how it will work on a 98 machine. I don't think she used this on the internet because she has no av or firewall software installed. She wants me to load aol (yeah I know aol sucks) for her. So I want to load avg first to protect her system. Will avg work on 98? Of course I will use the firewall too. Thanks for the help. It'been been a long time since I have worked on a 98 box.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to talldude123

Fix the registry with CCleaner

Old 05-26-2006, 11:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to BubbaGump69

Thanks bro I'll give that program a shot. It looks good.