Need help uninstalling Internet Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

godai73

Baseband Member
Hi. I have a computer where I log on as the administrator and Internet Explorer opens fine and I can surf the net without any problems. I would create other accounts (with administrative rights), but when I open Internet Explorer, I would receive a message that it has encountered a problem and needs to close. I ran Ad-aware, Spybot, HijackThis, and Registry Cleaner, but I am having the same problem. I downloaded Internet Explorer 6 SP1 from Microsoft's website and uninstalled IE from Add/Remove Programs>Add/Remove Windows Components, but all it does is remove the icons. I can still go to Windows Update and IE would still open. I tried to run the IE download and it would say that I have a newer version of IE and the setup will terminate. The version of IE loaded on the computer is 6.0.29. I ran a search on Google and download.com, but can not find 6.0.29 to download. So basically, I need help uninstalling IE and finding a link that might have 6.0.29 to download if uninstalling IE does not work. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I also forgot to tell you that I installed Firefox on the computer for the person who is using it and that works fine. I would prefer he use Firefox, but he has to go to websites that require Active X.

XP IE6 SP1

Internet Explorer is to well integraded within the Windows OS that it is impossible to remove it completely and not advisable to do so as it will cause the system to become unstable and crash regularly.

IE is also required to download Windows up-dates and with the security holes throughout Windows you need to up-date regularly.

For an alternative browser I recommend Advanced Browser, far better than Firefox or Opera with much more features.

I have removed IE from my system, it seems that IE is linked to folder windows, especially when you have them set to view as a webpage, it can mess it up big time.

Thanks for the fast response, but the link that Oscillator provided is the same one that I downloaded IE, but that version is IE 6.0.28 and the computer has 6.0.29. So when I try to initiate it, I receive the error message, 'Setup has detected a newer version of Inter Explorer already installed on this system. Setup cannot continue'. I wish the user can use Firefox for good, but he needs IE.

You could always download IE7 Beta which should over come the problem of the installation returning an error of a newer version already existing on the computer, do remember though it is a Beta.

You can't download it legally but use Bit Torrent trackers and you should find it, around 10mb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom