Need help transferring a partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

aetherh4cker

Corrupt Techie
I almost was going to put this in the Linux forum, but it's more of a generic question, so I put it here.

What I need to do is... right now I have a single 160GB hard drive with 145GB partitioned NTFS for Windows, and let Ubuntu utilize the rest. I'm acquiring a 20GB drive from a friend for free, so I wanted to move the Ubuntu Linux system over to the second drive.

My question is, first, how do I even do this? Second, I want to make sure I don't screw up the boot-up of my operating systems. Right now I'm dual booting with whatever Ubuntu put on there (GRUB, I think).

I was thinking of partitioning the second drive with 3GB for my Windows page file (Micro$oft says it will increase performance having the paging file on another drive), and the other 17GB or so for Ubuntu.

I'd rather not have to reinstall Ubuntu... so I'm really looking forward to any help you guys have to offer.

GParted will easily copy the ubuntu partition to the smaller drive. You first have to unmount the partition in order to use the copy feature. Scroll down the page for the GParted documentation seen at GPARTED DOCUMENTATION - GENERALITIES

This will explain how to activate the ubuntu partition once you have it copied. The 0.3.3.0 live for cd version being platform independent can also create a small NTFS type partition you then use the Disk Management tool to see formatted and ready for use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom