**IN NEED OF HELP** software not cooperating

newbtechguy

Beta member
Im sort of new to different types of technology, Any who.. I recently started construction on a new house, and for the security system and locking mechanism we have decided to go with a id card system where it reads and monitors at the same time whos coming and going, we have purchased the equipment and the card writing software and blank id cards how ever when trying to install the software it is asking certain things that i need a little more assistance with. The company that we purchased the equip from has a tech team that is far less then expected for the amount of money that was spent with them. So back to the issue, the equipment comes with the software on a disc and when loaded it walks you thru saving it to the c drive and then moving it into program files before the setup wizard will run... after this is done and it starts to install it asks you to choose a "specified destination directory" it automatically chooses the option in program files with the software name attached and when you try to run the install with that being selected an error comes up stating "the specified directory: C:\Program files\ software name and version\ is in the SETUP source files directory. Please select a different directory." I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THIS MEANS! Any help would be greatly appreciated.. :)

Sorry but since we don't know the software first hand there is no way we could know what this means ourself. Contact the company you bought it from and get them to do what they should have in the first place. Looking online in a public forum that the world can see is not the best option. As if a hacker reads the topic they can know where you are and the security you have in place. Pretty sure you dont want that type of information free for the world to see

I definitely understand your points, but thats why i didnt put any exact information about the product, i figured it was just an issue with my system reading the software to install to my computer. I thought pretty much all software loaded and installed from a disc would pretty much be the same, The company (as far as tech support goes) has been pretty much useless. I appreciate your reply though.

The fact is that no software I know of needs files copied off of the CD to the system to install the software. The installer copies the files from the CD to the system and does it all manually.

So the fact that this software of yours is requesting such action means that no person here will be able to help you. Since you cant give any information about the software itself, we cant just guess. It does no one any good to guess as to what it could possibly mean the error you are getting.

It isnt that I am trying not to help, but the facts are that we cant help. I have been working with PC's for over 25 years, and I never seen such a thing. So your situation is very unique and you will require someone who is knowledgeable about what you are doing. So if the company is that useless, get a refund. That or contact the developers of the software you are using and get support directly from the people who made it. We wont be able to help you here.

Im sort of new to different types of technology, Any who.. I recently started construction on a new house, and for the security system and locking mechanism we have decided to go with a id card system where it reads and monitors at the same time whos coming and going, we have purchased the equipment and the card writing software and blank id cards how ever when trying to install the software it is asking certain things that i need a little more assistance with. The company that we purchased the equip from has a tech team that is far less then expected for the amount of money that was spent with them. So back to the issue, the equipment comes with the software on a disc and when loaded it walks you thru saving it to the c drive and then moving it into program files before the setup wizard will run... after this is done and it starts to install it asks you to choose a "specified destination directory" it automatically chooses the option in program files with the software name attached and when you try to run the install with that being selected an error comes up stating "the specified directory: C:\Program files\ software name and version\ is in the SETUP source files directory. Please select a different directory." I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THIS MEANS! Any help would be greatly appreciated.. :)

Hey, if your still there then this is a pretty obvious thing. You said that the disc walks you through saving it to c: and then moving it to program files before it will run correct? This means it is actually running the installer from the folder it is trying to eventually install to. NOT a very smart way for a software company to write an installer, however I have seen this before and it could possibly have to do with the original software and the OS it was original written for. *rest of this deleted after edit*

Also, I do remember when I saw this before. It just so happens It was while installing an ID card printer :) I will not write here your software due to the privacy thing, but if it's the same company I am thinking of, its because they included only software for 32 bit windows. We upgrade to 64bit across all the computers in the building and it became a huge headache with the id card thing. Since the model printer we had was older, the company never wrote an updated driver for it to support 64bit. low and behold I just checked and on the current models there is definately a 64 bit version. Just go to their website and download the new driver. DON'T DUE WHAT I SAID ABOVE (i already deleted it), because that may not even work.

OOhh another edit. You should make sure whether you are using a 32bit or 64 OS, because if you happen to be using a 32bit and were installing a 64bit installer, the problem may be the opposite of what I said. Check your version of windows and then download the appropriate driver. If you are on windows XP you are likely 32bit and but if not Right click on computer from the start menu and select properties, then look in the "system type" section and you will see what you need.

Last edited:
THANKS A TON!!!! Deleting the "program Files\" worked!! (your 1st suggestion) who new tech could be so simple!!!

No problem lol I feel bad for you that one of your first experiences was with a poorly written installer. This is a rare thing :) Also if that happens to be the printer I referred to above, have fun learning the software, its not much more intuitive than the driver lol. Be careful with the installation of the ink ribbons too, that drove me nuts. READ the directions :)

Back
Top Bottom