Need Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

lio

Solid State Member
Hi all, I'm back again.
Have developped a recent (one week) problem with IE 6 where the occaisonal web page just does not come up when I click on it's URL. It has worked fine in the past, but just suddenly this problem developped. Web pages, such as one for the municipal elections and even ctv news. Other web pages working just fine.

Now, I did download System Mechanic to clean up my hard drive, but ended up not deleting anything (I'm pretty sure) as my 30 day trial ran out prior to me finishing. :eek:

-O/S = Wxp home ed., Pent 1V, 1.2 ghz, 512mgdrRam (70% free), gamers do use cpu with added port protection
-IE 6.0 with SP 1 (oct /03) installed
-use Norton Antivirus and firewall...have gone through all my firewall settings and even added the web pages I can't access to the "allow access to"
-have checked security and privacy settings in IE tools....all the same...then I defaulted them and tried again...then reset them
-have done the "repair" thing with IE and "is repaired" :(
-have checked hard drive for errors..etc..done all the major stuff
-have accessed Microsoft Knowledge Base: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281679

I cannot access web pages from other browsers either, so it is my computer.

All updates (critical) are installed, antivirus up to date.

Any ideas please???:confused:

question

Start from the basic, is the problem hardware or software??

Is it always the same pages you can't see?

-If so, then the problem is not hardware because I doubt that they make modems that can't go on a specific site.

-If not, what kind of connection are u using? modem? how long is the cable? Try other cables or other jack in hub or any hardware peace you can change for testing purpose.

Hope that helps

There are some viruses around that block browsers from accessing certain web sites. Usually they block search engines. So that is one possibility.

--Hedda Lora

Search engines blocked!

This is actually more like a bug than a virus, try this command to reset your TCP/IP settings:

netsh int ip reset >buzz.txt

cable modem.....rogers.

short cable and direct : short = 20 feet

have unplugged modem, plugged back in. Have checked all connections.

I do not believe it is a hardware prob. because so far only 3 web sites are affected. That is one reason I went over my port settings and firewall settings till I was blue in the face.

I have checked TCP/IP settings manually, but will give your idea a try.

Re virus: I have scanned and rescanned...nothing comes up. I have not had any infections either...norton has caught the few attachments that came my way during the big 3 epidemic (aug?)

thanks...lio

TCP/IP settings, connections all okay. Can ping remote addresses of web sites I'm trying to reach.

Seems to be an internal Windows prob. that I have to solve. May be a bug in XP, but thanks all.

sounds like a HOSTS file to me

There is a file in c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc called HOSTS
(at least thats the path on MY machine, your mileage may vary :) )
It's just called "HOSTS", by the way. No file extention at all. Rename it to anything else and try those sites again (you may need to reboot, i don't know)... If it starts magically working at that point, you may want to edit those sites OUT of the HOSTS file. Let us know if that helps.

I found the problem: not a HOSTS file.

It's a bug in Windows XP and with IE SP1 in certain circumstances.

The reference:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823837&Product=ie600#appliesto

"If the following conditions are true, Microsoft Internet Explorer may stop responding when you open an FTP site that is four or five folders deep:
You are using Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (SP1) on a computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP SP1.

-and-
The Enable folder view for FTP sites check box in the advanced Internet options is selected."

The site above gives more details.

Now my head will stop spinning for a while... :rolleyes:

thank you to all

Seems only to affect certain websites. As I stated initially, for me, it is 3 websites that are affected.

Why??? Dunno....

again,

thanks to all, lio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom