Need help with non-booting computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawmaterial

In Runtime
I got a client's computer and he said while he was working on a document, it just shut off. It wouldn't POST, so he brings it down to me, and I take a look at it. When I confirmed it wouldn't POST, I open the computer up. I then saw that 3 of the 24pin cable was burnt (on the mobo, the affected pins were visible on the port). I then proceeded to replace the mobo with a new one the client had. It now POSTs, but I can't get into XP. I went into the recovery console and ran fixmbr and right now I'm running chkdsk.

I can't get the OS loading screen, but when I ran a live XP cd, I did see the files intact (to my knowledge).

Does the other gurus know whats preventing XP from booting? I want to avoid reformatting and losing his files.

when you replace the mobo windows needs to be re installed there really is no way around this. you can try a repair install but that only works sometimes. imo your best bet would be to slave the drive and get all the necessary info off of it and then reformat and put the data back. time consuming and annoying.....good luck................

Run the windows cd that you installed the os with and when it asks if you want to repair, hit yes. This is gonna reinstall all the operating system files without removing any data. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom