Need help installing OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotlift

Beta member
I have Windows XP home edition and recently my PC started acting up. I have McAfee and it detected no viruses so I decided to re-install the OS. After I started the process I realized that I didn't back up my hard drive so I tried to stop it. Now my PC is stuck in a loop in the install process where it gets a fatal error (error code 426 I think). When I acknowledge the error the PC reboots and starts right back where it left off and gets the fatal error.

1. How do I recover my files such as pictures? (as I understand it I can configure my hard drive as a slave and get an adapter to plug into my laptop and transfer files to my external hard drive)

2. How do I get past the fatal error and re-install the OS?

I was able to build my own system with some help on what to order, but I am basicly PC illiterate when it comes to tech talk. Thanks for any guidance.

Since you already started the process there is no way to go backward and undo it now. You have to complete the process. That is how it is.

So your best shot at getting your data is using a Linux LiveCD like Ubuntu and if you are lucky, extremely lucky, you will be able to access the drive and get your data. If not, which most likely will be the case, you will have to use recovery software such as Recuva and try to get the data back after the reinstall.

Your infor is probably toaste, the best method would be to complete the install and use a recovery software to get the data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom