Need Help In Diagnosing a Problem - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 04:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

well, since you had no vid at one point I'd say the vid card needed reseating. as you've already done that, should be fixed. usually if you get no video during boot its a problem with the vid cards seating. think you should be fine now. oh, and emachines are actually some of the best machines ever.

Just kidding.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 04-21-2004, 04:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I have to totally disagree with your assessment on the video card. If my bios fried, I would have no video.....however, reseating the VC wouldn't help too much. Where you from in MO???

(And BTW, I have the shirt you got your quote from and it should be "Never argue with idiots, They just drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience".)

If I\'m curt with you, it\'s because time is a factor. I think fast. I talk fast. And, I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please with sugar on top, clean the fu**ing car- Winston Wolf, Pulp Fiction
Old 04-21-2004, 04:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

its a good saying, got to say that! MO? heh, oops... actually I'm in TN. Anyhow, looks like he did unplug the vid card and then plugged it back in and its working. I've seen this problem OFTEN. The way I see it, if its running fine... and usually no vid= bad seating... bad processor= one long, annoying continuous beep... bad MBD... well, nothing at all. Thats why I'd have to say vid card. Heh, is betting in the forums legal?

anyhow, that should fix the no vid error... the reboots are another issue. VIA and NVidia have a known issue on some of the chipsets. I'll give you the link for it. That maybe why the rebooting is occuring. The no vid, though... I still think thats just a matter of a reseat. Either VIA or NVidia are supposed to comeup with a software update... when, I dont know... here's a link (just type in "VIA NVIDIA problems" in a search..

http://www.theinquirer.net/Default.aspx?article=1795

http://www.kickassgear.com/Articles/GeForceVIA.htm

These are a few of the URL's... there are more, though. Some talk of a specific chipset while others say the VIA and NVidia (newer, I'm guessing) have a SERIOUS compatablility problem.

Here is a forum with some good bits, too:

http://www.anetforums.com/posts.aspx?ThreadIndex=5605

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Closed Thread