Need Help, Denying file writing in Windows Xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

rehaku

Solid State Member
I work at a Public Library as the tech person, problem is it is a small town so the Library does not get a lot of funding which means an even smaller budget for technology, this is where you all come in, The patrons here like to download and install programs save documents and there personal photos, so what i ask of you is this:

How do you deny file writing/saving?

I assume there is some sort of registry tweak or utility

I thank you in advance

-R-

Put them on a limited user account. Set the administrator account up with a password, and have the public account the only one accessible, as a limited user.

If I remember right... if you boot into safe mode in XP Home (that's what I'm in now in fact), then right click on the drive and/or folder and go to Properties, there should be a Security tab. Go there, and you can change permissions like read/write access, etc.

Nothing you can do. XP will allow you to still be able to save files.

Your only real bet would be to have a server environment in which you can truely control what user can or cannot do. And i know w/ a budget that environment won't be a reality for you.

Sadly, w/ XP and even Vista users are still able to save files. Check around to see if there are some custom internet explorer programs that allow for web surfing, but not downloading.

Hello,

Lex is kinda right. There is nothing that can be done with XP Home. If you were running XP Pro you could instate a GPO or Group Policy. XP Home doesnt have that option. A GPO would allow you to in all regards make the PC only access for Net access.

In this regard you would need something like NetNanny or CyberSitter. This will watch them on the net. But will not really restrict them on the download and save options. To stop their net access to unwanted sites use OpenDNS. All the instructions are there. This will allow you to put a content filter on the PC and stop them from visiting unsavory site.

As for hte file access and download. Vista would be better. Lex in Vista you can deny a limited user rights to downlaod and save files. The Limited account cant do it without admin rights.

No to address that issue it might be costly.

Download Windows Security Tweaker 6.9.6.4 Free trial - Stop unwanted access to your PC

That is something that you could use but costs $25. This might be of interest. Implement this:

Disable File Download in Internet Explorer at Registry Guide for Windows

This will prevent file download in IE. This will stop them from being able to download and install anything. Which means that they cant download Firefox to get around this.

It seems to stop them from installing software you would have to have them sign on using the Guest account. This article here might be of interest.

How to prevent users from running programs from the removable disks

That is the best solutions i can find for your situation.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom