Need help on Computer for a blind person

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricB

Chillin Techie
I got a request to look into building a computer for a blind person. This older lady used to could see and misses her computer. help me figure out how o do this please

Windows does have such features built in. If you check under the accessibility section of the Control Panel you will see that there are options built in that will allow someone who is blind be able to still use a PC cause it will read off the actions that are being performed. I am not sure how well such features work, as I have not personally used them.

If she is looking for something more than that, I will have to do some more research on the subject matter. I just thought of the accessibility section right away cause I see it can be accessed right on the login screen of Windows 7. It is the gear looking thing on the lower left corner. You can enable what options you want.

You could used to spell English, too. :lol: j/k

Have you looked into Windows speech recognition? Never used it, but it is available. You look into Narrator as well?

Only things I can think of that are built into windows. Not sure what other software is available.

What does she do, just read emails, and surf around?

edit: ninja'd...

see what you can find out please. I'll find out what all that she do. does window 7 have speech recognition?

Yes Windows 7 does have speech recognition. But Dragon Naturally Speaking might be a better choice for such a thing. The one built into Windows is kinda limited.

I will take a look around and see what I can come up with.

see what you can find out please. I'll find out what all that she do. does window 7 have speech recognition?

Funny you should mention that, at one of my old jobs from 2002, I use to work for a company that specializes in all types of physical disabilities for people needing a computer to help them in certain ways.
There is a program called jaws, last time I used it worked for late windows 2000 uptil windows xp sp2.

I'll shoot you a message with the company name and number and I'll see about getting you a legal version of jaws for you to purchase and help this woman out.

I'm curious.. How well do you guys think an iPad with Siri voice dictation and voice assistant would work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom