Need help ASAP!!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ardy89

In Runtime
well my bros laptop was tampered with today and when he boots up it has a missing windows file and will not boot properley!!!! Well anyway i told him to do a repair by bootin with the xp disc and we got to the stage were we needed to choose which windows installation we need to log onto, so we chose the only one on there and all it does is come up with this: c:\windows and then nothing. i'd like to know what to do next, what shud i type, is it fixboot??

Thanx in advance

ardy89

try going into the BIOS and setting it to boot from the CD, in winXP install options, you can tell it to repair a currently installed version, try that.

your choosing the repair console is why you get that prompt. to do a repair installation, you do like a normal fresh install.. it will ask what partition (after finding windows already installed). choose the one with windows already on it. It will then ask if you want to do a complete reinstall or a repair. this is the repair option you want. otherwise you get the C: prompt for the repair console. and yes, the commands are:

fixboot

and

fixmbr

We tried both those, fixboot and fixmbr, neither worked. Fixboot just brings up another option on the operating system select screen.

First question should be what file is missing and how do you know a file is missing? Can you get to your desktop or what? Tell me everything you have tried to fix yor problem.

try getting a disk that allows you to boot into safe mode, like a winME rescue disk or something, you should be able to track the problem through that.

well the file that is missin is c:/windows/system32/config/system

we got this copied back onto the hard drive so its now not missin the only probalem is my bro accidentally deleted the boot.ini file and when it gets to the manufacturers logo screen(after the xp loadin bar) it comes up with an error about logins or summat and then resarts really quickly!!! I think if he cud replace the boot.ini file all his probs wud be fixed but i may be wrong!!

So no i cant get to my desktop!!

Replacing a Damaged Boot.ini
If your system fails to start due to a damaged Boot.ini file, you can use the following methods to replace the file or to correct errors.

The bootcfg command is a new addition to the Windows XP Professional Recovery Console.

To use the Recovery Console bootcfg command to rebuild a Boot.ini file (Automatic Method)

Start Recovery Console.
At the Recovery Console prompt, type bootcfg /rebuild.
Windows XP Professional scans the hard disks on your system and checks for Windows installations. You can then rebuild the Boot.ini file.

Note

The Recovery Console bootcfg command is not the same as the Windows XP Professional Bootcfg.exe command-line tool. Bootcfg.exe resides in the systemroot\System32 folder and is a stand-alone command-line tool that you cannot use in Recovery Console.
To use Recovery Console to create a new Boot.ini file (Manual Method)

Start Recovery Console.
For more information about installing and using Recovery Console, see "Using Recovery Console" earlier in this chapter and "Tools for Troubleshooting" in this book.

From the Recovery Console prompt, type:
map

A list appears containing hard disk and partition information for Windows XP Professional and other operating systems, such as Windows 2000 and Windows NT 4.0. Record and use this information to correct errors to an existing Boot.ini file, or to create a new Boot.ini file by using a text editor, such as Notepad, on another computer. (You must use another computer because Recovery Console does not provide text-editing tools.)

When you are trying to copy an existing Boot.ini file to a floppy disk to edit on another computer, be aware that floppy disk write access is disabled by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom