need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

pizzo1234

Solid State Member
I just got a new Dell computer and I am having problems with accessing certain websites. I think it may be something with the Mcafee Firewall but don't know. I can access the internet and go to most sites but some I can't go to such as:

www.java.com
www.cincypost.com
www.dealofday.com

and many others it always says "Looking up..." then it says it can't be found. I am using Mozilla but also have tried IE.
Also, when I visit Yahoo the top buttons/images (Finance, Music, Shopping, etc.) don't appear. It's like they won't load.

Any help would be appreciated.

Uninstall that POS Mcafee Firewall or internet security pack and you should be fine. Also if you have Windows XP the service pack 2 firewall may be on as well. So long as you have some good virus scan to detect any back door trojans you should be safe from hackers.

Thanks for the help. I will try to uninstall the Mcafee firewall. Where do I have to go to see if the Windows XP service pack 2 firewall is on?

And as far good virus scans, should I just keep Mcafee anti virus or switch to Norton?

pizzo1234,

Dont ...no... never install norton. Stay with mcafee or get another scanner like pandora, trend or avast. Since you have a new computer, you might not have java virtual machine, shockwave player etc installed which are required by the browsers to parse some sites.
And , disable mcafee firewall.

To turn off windows firewall.. follow this link
http://www.utmem.edu/helpdesk/sp2/sp2firewall.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom