Need heeeeeelp!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spacegh0st

Solid State Member
Okay when I boot up my PC I get c\windows\system32\config missing or corrupt. K I have seen this before and know how to fix it. Normally I would use an XP cd and do a repair. Problem is I can get to the repair on my PC. I get NTKRLMP.EXE is missing error code 7. I tried using a windows xp cd and get the error. I went and created some boot disks for XP on my laptop thinking maybe it's the cd rom. Get the same message.

Any idea where I can go from here, before I start buying new parts? I did pull ram out and also set my BIOS back to default settings. No luck I pretty much can't get anywhere. Anyone come across this? temp on my PC is running at 28C which is fine.

Any help would be great, haven't found much on the net for this error.

Microsoft knowledge base offers very little on the subject. I scoured the internet and found very few instances of this problem, with no real solutions. Sorry.

How can I reformat if I can't get through the steup screen? can't get to the repair console. I went and downloaded a Bios upgrade and an NTFS boot disk. I can get to an A promt but nothing else gives me mass string command errors. I made and XP dos boot disk and flashed the bios still no luck.

well if its that bad its either your CD rom, being bad and dieing on you or your motherboard is fugded, make sure your XP disc has no scratchs on it. I would seriouly consider replacing motherboard or CD-rom . Unless you figure it out of course.

Well here is an update.

I created a boot disk for XP to get to an A prompt and flashed the BIOS no luck.

I pulled my sticks of ram out and tried each one on their own. In each slot no help.

Swapped hard drives and booted using the XP recovery floppy disks, got the same error.

I am going to test the HD, Mem and vid card in a working PC tonight and let you guys know what happened.

Easy Method

1/ Restart your PC
2/ Keep tapping the F8 Button until a menu appears
3/ When the menu appears use the UP and DOWN arrow keys to select the ‘Last known good configuration’ option.
4/ Once selected press Enter
5/ Your PC should now reinstall the ‘last know good configuration file’
6/ Restart your PC and see if the problem has been solved
7/ If it hasnÂ’t go on to the Harder Method below.

Harder Method

Step One

1/ Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM and restart your pc
2/ At the ‘Welcome to Setup’ screen press R to start the recovery Console
3/ The Recovery Console will now open and the list of Windows installations will appear

4/ As you only have one installation on your PC you need to press the number which is relevant to your installations location. This, obviously will typically be 1

5/ When requested type in your Administrator password. If you havenÂ’t set an administrator password, then simply press Enter
6/ The Recovery Console command prompt window will now appear
7/ At the Command prompt type the following, pressing Enter after you have typed each line.
md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default
8/ Now type Exit to exit the recovery console
9/ Finally restart your pc

Step Two

10/ When the PC restarts log on as Administrator. if you are using Windows XP Home you can only log on as Administrator via Safe Mode.

11/ The next step is to copy the registry files from their backed up location using system restore. However, before you can begin you need to set the folder options in Windows Explorer to Show Hidden Files and Folders

12/ Open Windows Explorer

13/ Click the Tools option on the main toolbar

14/ From the drop down menu click on Folder options

15/ In the Folder options window click the View tab

16/ Look down the file list until you come to a section marked Hidden Files and Folders

17/ Click on the Radio button on the left of the option Show hidden Files and Folders to enable this option

18/ Next move down two lines and remove the check mark next to the option Hide Protected operating system files (Recommended)

19/ You will receive a message informing you that editing or deleting these files could cause damage to your system. Click Yes to confirm that you want to display these files.

20/ From the folder/directory list in Windows explorer click on the drive where you installed Windows XP

21/ Open the System Volume Information folder (The folder appears dimmed) If you receive a System volume Information is not accessible. access denied Error message see Microsoft Knowledgebase Article 309531

22/ Inside you will find one or more folders that look something like this "_restore{87BD3667-3246-476B-923F-F86E30B3E7F8}".

23/ If the folders are displayed as icons or thumbnails click the View option on the main toolbar and click on Details to give a more detailed view of the files

24/ Select a file that was not created at the current time and that starts with RPx (these are Restore Points)

25/ Open one of these folders and look for a Snapshot folder - for example: C:\System Volume Information\_restore{D86480E3-73EF-47BC-A0EB-A81BE6EE3ED8}\RP1\Snapshot

26/ From this snapshot folder copy the following files to C:\Windows\tmp folder

_REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT

_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY

_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE

_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM

_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM

27/ Now rename the files as follows:

Rename _REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT to DEFAULT

Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY to SECURITY

Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE to SOFTWARE

Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM to SYSTEM

Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM to SAM

Step Three

28/ You now have to delete the existing registry files and copy the system restore registry files to the C:\Windows\System32\Config folder: You can do this either by using Recovery Console or (if you file system is FAT32) by using a Windows 98 Start Up Disk) Whichever method you use you will be presented with a command prompt. At the command prompt type the following, remembering to press Enter after you have typed each line.
del c:\windows\system32\config\sam

del c:\windows\system32\config\security

del c:\windows\system32\config\software

del c:\windows\system32\config\default

del c:\windows\system32\config\system

29/ Now type the following, pressing Enter after you have typed each line:

copy c:\windows\tmp\software c:\windows\system32\config\software

copy c:\windows\tmp\system c:\windows\system32\config\system

copy c:\windows\tmp\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam

copy c:\windows\tmp\security c:\windows\system32\config\security

copy c:\windows\tmp\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

30/ Finally Exit Recovery Console and Restart your PC (If you are using the Windows 98 startup disk simply press CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart your pc

Step Four
31/ After your PC has rebooted click the Start button followed by All Programs

32/ From the All Programs menu click Accessories

33/ From the Accessories drop down menu click on System Restore

34/ From the System Restore window click on the Restore to a Previous Restore Point option and restore your pc to a previous restore point

Hi warz:

Thanks for the help. As I said I can not get to the repair console using the CD or XP floppy disks (set of 6) I get the error NTKRLMP.EXE Error number 7. This happens just after welcome to setup and tries to load files.

I did try the f8 thing as well, "last known" didn't work still says message c:\windows\system32\config corrupt after a regular bootup.

I do know how to fix this error. It's the NTKRLMP.EXE that is more of the pain in my side. If I can get past that I could do a repair or format the drive, all sorts of things.

Either

• There are incorrect settings in the computer's basic input/output system (BIOS) configuration.

-or-

• One or more of the random access memory (RAM) modules that is installed on the computer is faulty.

Yeah I do have two sticks of ram and tried them on their own in each of the three slots. I'll try the ram tonight, it does seem to post. I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom