Need a boot up cd to boot??? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to SethBahookey
Default Need a boot up cd to boot???

Hey this is my first time at these forums, so forgive me if I posted in the wrong area. Anyways I just upgraded my system a bit: new video cards, mobo, and ram, and it's running fine right now. After installing them I reformated and installed Windows XP SP2. However when I restart, or boot up my computer the only way it will let me boot up is by having the Windows XP cd in the cd drive. Otherwise it will say something like disk failure please insert disk and try again. Why is it doing this?? I reset the CMOS, and that did nothing. So I'm out of ideas. If anyone has any idea please let me know, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 03-18-2006, 04:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

It could be a corruption problem with the boot sector of your HDD or windows may not have installed properly. tbh the esiest thing to do with windows problems like this (and yes I know its not really a brilliant fix) is just to reinstall windows.

Old 03-18-2006, 05:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I dont understand the question, Will it only boot to the Instalation off of the cd or only boots from the hdd when the XP cd is inserted.

If it only boots off of the cd drive then you should check to see if the hdd is set as the first boot device. It shouldn't have to be but I've had that problem.

Also you should check to see if the hdd is even being detected. The jumpers might need moved.
Windows 2000 Server
Windows XP Corp. Pro.
nVIDIA Geforce 6200a 512MB
Old 03-18-2006, 10:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

well this is actaully the second time this has happend, because i had a crappy windows xp version some naked version and it did that, then i got a better version and it is still doing the same thing, and yeah i have to use the cd to boot up my computer i already did the installation, and yeah i tried the hard drive as the first thing and it still asked for a cd so i don't know whats up.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

bump
Closed Thread