Need advise on Windows XP Home - is it legal to use in business environment?

IS It legal to use windows XP Home in Office?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
At this company do you have a domain server? If so then home will not work as it cannot connect to a domain.

It is perfectly legal for you to use the old winxp machines with home at a business. As everyone else has said it is the limitations of home that is your potential problems. Not the legal issues.

If a company you have contacted has rejected supplying you with software due to the fact you are running XP Home at your place of business, that is their right. They have every legal right to do what they wish with their software. If they are quoting XP Home limited connections, so what. They own the software and they have every right to deny it to people if they dont feel that they qualify.

So what if they used the fact that XP Home has only 5 connections. They dont want to supply your company with software. That was the excuse they used. I bet if you were running XP Pro they would have quoted you some other excuse.

I still haven't seen the reason why you are arguing with this company about it. Why do they want you to upgrade your OS?

The software company doesnt have any legal ground. Even if reported to Microsoft there is nothing stated specifically about running XP Home in a business environment. If there was there would be a lot of people that do business out of their homes that would be in trouble.

The software company can say what they want. It doesnt mean jack.

I think, the software company told them that they violated the eue by running XP home in a buisness enviroment.

And he doesn't want to have legal issues, as it's be bad.

Ok, but what is the software company trying to push? They must be saying this in an effort to make him buy something. If so, is it something he needs?

If it isn't something needed, just ignore them.

Unless the software company are saying that by the nature of their software the ability to accept more than 5 connections is required. Possibly some kind of server software? In which case it shouldn't go on XP home anyway...

ok, here is the story, I was being contacted by a consultant from Microsoft (KL - Twin Tower) as they are doing the Software Asset Management, they have our contact mainly due to we purchase open licenses from them. and they requested us to submit our licenses purchased and used in office. And after the whole process of going through our licenses, now they are saying we are no legal to use XP Home for more than 5 units in an office environment, and I am arguing to them is the fact that they use the XP Home EULA as they legal point. in which i am not buying the idea, that is why I am asking if anyone could help me to get any facts that I can use to argue with them. all else fail than I have no choice but to get new computer in with OEM win 7 pro licenses.

By the way, just got to know that, if I buy Windows 7 Pro OEM now, I have to option to downgrade it to windows XP Pro with condition that
"For a limited time of 18 months after the general availability of Windows 7 or the release of a Windows 7 Service Pack, whichever is earlier, the OEM license of Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate will include downgrade rights to Windows XP Professional. After that period the OEM license will enable downgrade rights to Windows Vista Business"

Does this mean that, even I have install windows xp pro on this downgraded machine from Windows 7, once the 18 month period ends or they first service pack available. we are illegal to use windows xp pro on this machine? anyone have any idea on this?

I believe the 'consultant' is blowing smoke and is trying to make a sale. I would speak with his supervisor or another person within microsoft (because if you ask for his supervisor he'll probably just give the phone to another tech that will try to sell you something).

All else fails and you can't get ahold of someone else or a 'higher up', tell them to f-off and don't answer the phone anymore when they call.

You really need to contact a Lawyer. We are not lawyers, we are not perfect in the EULA of Windows and can not advise on such legal matters. While we may know the XP Home EULA, that doesnt mean we know what your legal stance might be in regards to this matter. Some of these terms are even to technical for us to fully understand. Since we dont have a clue about your business or the situation your in we have no right to advise you on this.

2nd. If you get new PC's you would be STUPID to downgrade back to XP Pro. It makes no sense to go back 9 years just to be forced to jump ahead 10 in another year. XP was released in 2001. Time to let it go and move on. Get over it already. It would be nothing but a wasted venture to get XP Pro on the system just in a year to finally upgrade to Win7. Why not make the upgrade now and train the people now instead of spending more money to get XP Pro now and then buy Win7 at a later fate when you can get Win7 included now. It is bad business to waste money like that. It would cost you twice as much.

Contact a lawyer. That is the best thing you can do. They will be able to contact Microsoft and find out the exact details. You can try to contact Microsoft Legal yourself if you wish. But given that we dont know enough about your company and the situation we can't advise anything more.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom