N00b Network question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
Connect to other computers on my network

I'm working on settin up a litle network at my house, nothing big, just a little peer to peer workgroup setup. 4 machines running XP, one machine running 2000. When I try to access some computers from another computer, I either get the innaccessible computer, log on as user dialog, or another log on as user dialog. Sometimes it comes up and I can enter the username and password, but others it comes up and the username is grayed out and set as guest. Anyone know why? It's weird, because all my Guest accounts are disabled. I have Administrator on all of the machines, and the same username on all machines as well. Isnt there a checkbox somewhere that I have to check that says "Allow other computers to connect to this computer" or seomthing like that?

If you cannot decipher what I am asking, just say so and I will try and break it down.

Thanks!

As I can see, your trying to log into another computer? Have you tried to use the username and password to that computer? Such as, if you're on a computer with name "user1" and password "pass1", and the computer you're trying to access is "user2" and the password is "pass2", have you tried the login of "user2" with "pass2"? Hope this helps, and please forget about my previous posts.

-SkyHi

Yeah, for example, I make an account called Him on every computer in my house. Same password on all, everything. Even though they are there, and I have that same account on the computer I use to try to connect, still no dice.

And posts and little tiffs stay with there respective posts. They shouldnt bleed over into other posts really. So it's all good in the neighboorhood, my man.

Well, I'm sorry about being so immature, but now off of that other post. Um, so you're trying to log into it? Or are you just trying to access it? Also, what exactly do you want to do with the network, I mean, you said a p2p network for your computers, so you just want to share files? If so, you could use Windows networking. Is this what you're doing?

-SkyHi

Yeah, like I said, a workgroup. That is windows networking. The difference between logging onto it and accessing it, I dont think there would be one. But for sake of conversation, yes, just trying to access it. I just want to send out some files from my computer to the other one. I'm suprised I'm having this problem, makes me feel quite dumb. I can also seemlesly access the W2K machine, but the XP machines prove to be a bit of a challenge.

Well, as what you just said, I might know the problem. Maybe I get you wrong, but I don't think you can _send_ a file on a network, without someone on the other end saying "Yes I'll recieve this," which, I don't think that is even possible unless your using some client that lets you do that. Can you get on the other computer and take files off of another?

-SkyHi

no, you can go to My Network Places (this depending on you having Sharing enabled) and you can go to the computer in question, click on the drive, and have access to whatever is enabled as sharing.

So, for example, I could go to my brothers computer and into the windows folder (saying it is shared) and copy something onto his desktop, or vice versa.

what firewall are you using? also is your internet ran to the router or through one computer (Internet Connect Sharing)?

Did you try using the Windows XP network setup assistant? As lame as it sounds it really does a good job of setting up all the sharing/permissions and that sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom