Mysterious Files Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatTheDilly-O

Baseband Member
in windows 98 (and probably other versions, i havnt checked), if you open the C:/windows directory, probablly 90% of the files there are temp files with hexadecimal names followed by a series of hexadecimal numbers in braces. all the files are completely empty. can anyone tell me what these are for?

i've got the latest definitions for norton anti-virus, which runs weekly, and some ad software, and that doesnt make a difference. i get the feeling these files are legit. like they were used for something and then never deleted. like maybe the OS uses the file names to find out where some info is or something. i dunno.

fffe1bc7_{435AAEE0-F0CF-11D4-B881-0010ADEE17F5}.tmp

that's a typical example. they all start with "fff" they all seem to have been created in the first two years that i had this computer they're all the same number of characters. i have 2,852 of them. out of the 3,300 objects in the folder. this is all just in C:/windows, no deeper. i guess i had always just assumed they were there for a reason, but u say u've never seen them. very weird...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom