my windows is in japanese - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to burned-ati Send a message via Yahoo to burned-ati
Default my windows is in japanese

ok a friend loaned me a copy of his windows xp sp2 and yes i did not do any thing ilegal i purchased a serial key over the phone from microsoft, but every thing is in japanese lol!! this is horrible and it thinks im in japan, can somebody direct me to changing the language in control panel or some where? but it is hard to read if i dont kno wat it is cause i cant speak japanese

Old 08-19-2005, 11:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I'm almost curious to ask if your friend is japanese and bought a japanese copy of XP can't you change the language settings though during the install process?

But also just go to the language preferences in the control panal and change them to english (EN). If I'm not mistaken it's under regional and language preferences.

Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 08-19-2005, 12:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste

now if only he could figure out how to get there. time to learn some japenese.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Can't be that hard anyone who has used Windows 95 up to Vista know where the start icon is so lets start there click on that. Then we know that the control panal has a clip board Icon so click on a clip board picture. langauge options has a picture of a globe and calander so click on it. Then click on the globe in the next screen (regional options) Then the first drop down menu is the language selecter so change the language to english.

Either it will say

English (EN)

or

英語 <<<< You will need unicode support to view the japanese characters.

==============================

I used to be an admin (resigned) at a chinese history forum. I'll be happy to go back and ask the members to get some screen shots then I'll circle the areas you have to go into and what to click on but that will propably be sometime after wednesday when I return from my vacation. But I'll ask before I leave.
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 08-19-2005, 03:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

nope, you can't change the language to english.. I have Chinese verisons of windows (my dad wants chinese version), and there is absolute no option for you to change the language into English.. Why? i don't really know, but prob is because they only included one language pack (For the system text and such, such as the start button and other things), but they includes language packs for reading other languages.. However, if Tyler has a way of changing language back to English, i'd love to hear it

your choice would be to borrow a english version of windows, download one (Assuming you have the legal CD key).. not too hard if you look..
browse with: opera
Old 08-19-2005, 04:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Again you might be right but still it's worth a shot it's possible thats true only for your type of XP CD (OEM etc in chinese).
Old 08-19-2005, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to burned-ati Send a message via Yahoo to burned-ati

damn
Old 08-19-2005, 06:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

furtivefelon I'll find out soon enough I'll ask that board I was talking about and get back to you all on wednesday or sometime after that.

furtivefelon I think I got you here I do have a way. What about individual themes. StyleXP and WindowBlinds ya know? Download your skins then you have a new theme at least the start buttion will be in english as well as other small various graphics (control panal text still in japanese though >.<).
Old 08-19-2005, 11:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie

mmm... i have never tried window blinds on anything other than English version of windows.. i'll try it sometime when i have time

browse with: opera
Closed Thread