My thoughts on Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
I've been using Vista since the early betas as a lot of you have. I've been switching back and forth between XP and all flavors of Vista. As of right now, Vista just can't hang with XP. I love the look and feel of Vista, but you can get all that on XP if you really wanted too. Vista just has too many issues and is an incomplete product. Even burning a simple data CD can turn out to be a nightmare and take FOREVER and this has happened on all versions of Vista and even deleting a large file can be time consuming and it hangs most of the time. I like to use the least amount of programs possible on my system, this is do to the fact that the less programs you have installed, more than likely the fewer problems you will encounter. If Vista ran like XP, it be the sh**. :D I even upgraded my system to 3GB of ram and still the same issues and performance was an issue, now XP is screaming along with all that extra ram.:D :D XP IS much faster than Vista in almost every aspect. I don't want to say its like the Windows ME disaster because its MUCH better than ME. I used it here at work to test all my production programs and they all worked great. But for the average user here, they will need training, A LOT of training. I also had to re-write the login script so it maps my network drives properly which wasn't a big deal, I learned something new and that's always good.:cool: I like all the new features, well, almost all. Not crazy about the sidebar so that's gone, CD burning sucks but since SP1 came out, its a lot better, DEP is annoying, and a few other things but even those are minor. I just like my things to "work". And XP does just that, even when XP came out it worked but still had its kinks. :eek:
My boss wants to switch to Vista and that's not going to happen anytime soon. I'm waiting for Windows 7 and IE8 to hit the streets. So at this time, both my systems are back to XP Pro.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out what Ballmer has to say about Vista below:

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has admitted that Windows Vista is an incomplete product, even though the operating system has been on the market for more than a year.
Speaking at the firm's annual Most Valuable Professionals event in Seattle yesterday, Big Steve told the gathered crowd that the unloved OS was "a work in progress". According to reports, he also promised that Microsoft would learn from the mistakes it has made with Vista.

"It's a very important piece of work. We did a lot of things right and have a lot of things we need to learn from," said Ballmer. "Certainly, you never want to let five years go between releases."
He acknowledged that "Vista is bigger than XP", but he wasn't referring to the popularity of the product. Instead, he was pinpointing one of the major issues many customers saddled with the product have complained about: performance.
"We have to make sure it doesn't get bigger still and that the performance and the battery and the compatibility we're driving on the things that we need to drive hard to improve."
Yesterday's admission will be seen by many as poorly timed, coming just weeks after service pack one (SP1) for Vista arrived – well, at least for some customers – in a manual form.
In mid-March Microsoft issued a staggering number of reasons as to why plenty of people would not be able to get their mitts on the service pack. Issues included a number of security products that won't start up or run on updated desktops thanks to "compatibility problems".
Earlier this week Microsoft spat out Vista SP1 in the remaining 31 languages. Those versions arrived a full month after the service pack first landed for a select few across the globe.
Meanwhile, the automatic version of the download remains missing in action. Redmond had chalked mid-April as the date when SP1 would start downloading onto computers across the world. But it's reluctantly stepped away from that deadline because it "wants to ensure customers have the best possible experience".
Ballmer also accepted yesterday that customers are incredibly reluctant to shake off XP in favour of adopting its unruly little brother, Vista.
"We have a lot of customers that are choosing to stay with Windows XP, and as long as those are both important options, we will be sensitive, and we will listen, and we will hear that.
"I got a piece of mail from a customer the other day that talked about not being able to get XP anymore, and we responded: XP is still available. And I know we're going to continue to get feedback from people on how long XP should be available. We've got some opinions on that."
Windows XP was given something of a reprieve earlier this month for bargain basement PCs not equipped to run the memory-chugging Vista OS.

Ballmer ***** slaps Vista | The Register

Coming from The Register? I don't believe a word of it. They are about as believable as the Apple Ads are.

I love Vista...
and I also agree with Ballmer, though some sources would like to take it out of contexts it would seem...
ALL software makes should consider their products a work in progress...that is the idea of Microsoft and product updates and patches...

NO software can be complete and require ZERO "work in progress" updates.

Same can be said of hardware, and I support those that update their hardware as needed.

;)

perhaps in 50 years when we are all using 512bit Oses and 32gb of ram, some will see that an OS that uses a lot of ram is a good thing...

progress can be slow...but it's a good thing

I'm running vista home premium 64, which is supposedly the most problematic of them all, and i have had ZERO issues with it. It is in fact faster than xp on my computer. I finally made the full transition over from xp to vista a few weeks ago and have had no reason to bother with my XP partition.

I have been using Vista Ultimate for a while now and have yet to see any of the problems people complain about. I didn't even have a problem using an ancient matrox graphics card (that only had xp drivers) while I was waiting for my 8800gs.

I'm running vista home premium 64, which is supposedly the most problematic of them all, and i have had ZERO issues with it. It is in fact faster than xp on my computer. I finally made the full transition over from xp to vista a few weeks ago and have had no reason to bother with my XP partition.

I've had some rough patches with 64-bit, but after I installed SP1 all was well, even the 4GB issue. I deleted my XP partition this weekend :). I've gotten use to Vista and the ins and outs of it, I dig it now. Their are still some hick ups and things that should be addressed, but all in all I'm quite content with it. If I feel the need to use an alternate OS, I'll run Ubuntu.

Vista doesn't need to be bashed anymore, it has all been heard and then repeated a few trillion times.

QFT. A LOT has changed since it launched and SP1 did a lot as well.

some will see that an OS that uses a lot of ram is a good thing...

progress can be slow...but it's a good thing

I agree COMPLETELY. Using a lot of RAM is a very good thing. An OS shouldn't require it, but if you have it, it should be able to use a lot of it efficiently. It's a very good thing. Everything can load a LOT faster and work seemlessly.

I just bought a new laptop about 4 months ago and I've had no problems with Vista so far. I'm guessing there's a difference between upgrading to Vista and buying a new machine which already has it installed.

What? Rick, your statement doesn't make any sense buddy. That's completely relevant to the hardware said machine that came with Vista has and the one that was upgraded to Vista has.

Ya, i'm probably going to go ahead and reclaim that 30gb xp partition and put the 160gb drive in my media pc so i can use the 5 750s as a raid 5 with the 160 as the OS drive. Tempted to pick up one of the new velociraptors for the gaming rig when they come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom