my system reboots automatically help! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-22-2003, 05:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 5
Default my system reboots automatically help!

i just built a custom system and periodically it just restarts by itself? does this happen to any else? how do i fix this? thanks.
__________________

DTEC is offline  
Old 03-22-2003, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 5
Default

i have a 2.4 GHz P4 on a P4VXAD motherboard made by ECS (elitegroup) running windows XP pro. i reboots at odd times, but mostly when i play games. my display card is an ATI radeon 9000 4x AGP. do u need any other specs? please help.
__________________

DTEC is offline  
Old 03-22-2003, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 351
Send a message via Yahoo to A_Zip1
Default

Hmm the only thing i can think off is check ur scheduled tasks it might actually be in thier, i know of ppl thats happend 2 b4
A_Zip1 is offline  
Old 03-22-2003, 07:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Techist Member
 
Slam'n Systems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 828
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Zip1
Hmm the only thing i can think off is check ur scheduled tasks it might actually be in thier, i know of ppl thats happend 2 b4
I Think that would happen at certain times though. It may be your Video Card not fuctioning properly because you said It is usually when you play games! I hope my advise helps someone one of these days
__________________
3DMark FireStrike Ultra: 4,266
3DMark FireStrike: 12,043

  • Intel Core i7 920 Overclocked 3.2Ghz - Megahalem Cooler
  • eVGA E758-A1 X58 Intel LGA 1366 Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
  • MSI Armor OC 8GB GeForce GTX 1070
  • eVGA 650W G2 Modular Power Supply
  • Thermaltake Armor+ Full Tower Case
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
  • Corsair Force LE 250GB SSD
  • OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD
Slam'n Systems is offline  
Old 03-22-2003, 07:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Slam'n Systems
I Think that would happen at certain times though. It may be your Video Card not fuctioning properly because you said It is usually when you play games! I hope my advise helps someone one of these days
yea that's what i thought too so i went to the ATI website and downloaded their newest driver for my video card, and it still happens. hmm... i'll do more research. thanks anyway.
DTEC is offline  
Old 03-22-2003, 07:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Techist Member
 
Slam'n Systems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 828
Default

Well actually...it may not be the drivers at all! Some games don't like ATI Cards like UT2003 I had problems with a ATI 9700 when I bought that. So just because you update your driver...doesn't mean your card ain't the problem
__________________
3DMark FireStrike Ultra: 4,266
3DMark FireStrike: 12,043

  • Intel Core i7 920 Overclocked 3.2Ghz - Megahalem Cooler
  • eVGA E758-A1 X58 Intel LGA 1366 Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
  • MSI Armor OC 8GB GeForce GTX 1070
  • eVGA 650W G2 Modular Power Supply
  • Thermaltake Armor+ Full Tower Case
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
  • Corsair Force LE 250GB SSD
  • OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD
Slam'n Systems is offline  
Old 03-22-2003, 07:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Martin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 1,422
Default

Control Panel > System > Advanced

Go to startup and recovery section, click settings
Uncheck 'automatically restart'

Instead of a BSOD, M$ decided to put into NT that every time an error is encountered, the system restarts instead, or halts with a stop error.

Video card drivers are usually the most likely cause for this, updated videocard and motherboard drivers help, and the second cause is the possibility of the CPU overheating.
__________________
Martin's Page of Stuff

I judge you when you use poor grammar.
Martin is offline  
Old 03-22-2003, 07:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by GeForce
Control Panel > System > Advanced

Go to startup and recovery section, click settings
Uncheck 'automatically restart'

Instead of a BSOD, M$ decided to put into NT that every time an error is encountered, the system restarts instead, or halts with a stop error.

Video card drivers are usually the most likely cause for this, updated videocard and motherboard drivers help, and the second cause is the possibility of the CPU overheating.
thank you very much man! i'm gonna try this!
DTEC is offline  
Old 03-23-2003, 10:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16
Default HEAT!!

Yeah, check your CPU temps. Think about it, when you play games your CPU's temperature increases significantly which usually causes a system shutdown, or in your case, a reboot.
warl0rd is offline  
Old 03-24-2003, 12:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 5
Default Re: HEAT!!

Quote:
Originally posted by warl0rd
Yeah, check your CPU temps. Think about it, when you play games your CPU's temperature increases significantly which usually causes a system shutdown, or in your case, a reboot.
how do u check the temperature of ur CPU?
__________________

DTEC is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.