My SP3 experience...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mak, Why didn't you wait to install it like others are suggesting to do?
Cause being a Beta Tester and all that stuff I like to break my PC. :p This was a good experience to find out what works and doesnt.

I simply downloaded SP3 direct and saw it go on without problems. That disk that was sent may simply have a glitch? IE 7 opened right up and ran while I don't the MCE but Home edition. Want to try a 316mb download instead? |MG| Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 Final

Yes you also installed it right onto a SP2 install already done. I was going for a slipstreamed install without having to isntall SP3 AFTER i had installed my XP SP2. I also did not need the file as if you would read. I have it. First line i stated i got SP3 ISO from MSDN. Why get the stand alone when it was on my disc? Which i had already taken off to sue for the slipstreaming?

If you have also read i stated in my 2nd post that my experience is unique cause of the fact i am using MCE. I stated Using a XP Disc works.

when you use nlite with media center it should ask you for you second mce disc right after the first so that it can make it one dvd instead of 2 cds. you should try that before you try to install sp3

I did that previously. The disc i was using was a MCE disc with both MCE discs put together. I didnt use nlite for the slipstreaming of SP3 though as they have not got a working version out compatible.

Why get the stand alone when it was on my disc? Which i had already taken off to sue for the slipstreaming?

If you have also read i stated in my 2nd post that my experience is unique cause of the fact i am using MCE. I stated Using a XP Disc works.

The idea is to see a good install right from the drive without and 3rd party interventions. MCE to install ? You're running an app while the installer generally requires all other activities halted. If you didn't see a partial install off the disk for some MCE with what was supposed to go on.

The softpedia outside of MS has been used since SP2 first came to see a variety of a systems updated with that service. The downloads are clean and certainly faster then the other link that was bogged at times.

Since when is softpedia a reputable source? I have seen several thigns on there, like the Vista Paradox BIOS hack hosted on Softpedia. Just cause they may have had the SP3 download it still does not answer why i shoudl download ti when i already had it...

I never seen one iota of problems on the occasions when downloading SP2 from there and have had no problems with anything else for a non MS site. This is a first hearing about any particular direct complaints but I'll make a note on that.

I am not saying that i had a problem with it. I am just trying to figure out why i would download SP3 when i already had SP3 as a ISO on my PC and on a CD. You keep telling me to download it. But WHY?? I have it. Why download it again when i have a full legit version already.

That is where my confusion comes in.

Your mention of problems seeing the service pack \go on from disk would be the thought there. If the disk turns out to be a bad copy while not the common but still possible occurence a separate download would simply be an alternate for seeing the same end result.

With some optical drives they have a tendency to be media fussy as well. While the full install disk wouldn't see any problem the media used for the SP might be that exception. The same goes for the blank media used to see the iso image burned to disk or you may simply have a need to download another copy of the iso if the first was incomplete for some reason.

With the latest AVG 8.0 out the first download saw "files missing" during the installation and closed. I subsequently downloaded several more for both versions as well as onto the external drive in case of another incomplete to see working results the next time around.

One little oops while downloading can goof things up for any program or update. This is one reason I prefer more then one download source where if one copy is incomplete dump that and try the next. If you ended up with a bad iso for some reason a fresh copy or alternate would be the idea there for simply seeing working results.

hey guys, sorry to reopen an old thread :p

is SP3 worth having?

i've heard some bad reports from people installing it on AMD machines, and that the installer is dodgy on some downloads and discs,

in truth i know half of what the documentation told me, i wont say im a windows expert.

The issues stem from the install images used on some pre-built AMD machines. the manufacturer (HP is the one I have heard named) used the same image for both Intel and AMD machines. Intel machines require a certain file that AMD does not, but if SP3 comes across this file it puts it into play. This causes a reboot loop on affected machines.

Google the issue and you will find the info you need to see if you have this file and to remove the file if you do. Once it is removed, there shouldn't be any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom