my scratched windows xp cd - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to burned-ati Send a message via Yahoo to burned-ati
Default my scratched windows xp cd

ok i gotta windows cd its a bit scratched because when im installin it on a freshly formatted drive it says it has to skip a couple files like k6/driver cab and well if i goto eb games and pay 5 bucks they clean it .. is it worth it? will it work correctly if i get it done or will it just leave me with wasted 5 bucks and a shiny cd?

Old 06-23-2005, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to dumdum8684

It really depends on which side is scratched. The data is belive it or not stored almost on the top (right below the label) the rest is plastic to give it some durability. If the top is indeed scratched you might as well throw the disk away. If the bottom is scratched you have a couple more options. One is to get a filler that will fix minor scratches on a CD. The other option is to get something like CD Doctor (i think that is what it is called) which i think smooths out the scratches. If EA offers to fix it what is there policy if they can't fix it. I would check that out. Also you could check around your local used game shops. A lot of them have repairers on hand and if they are nice they might even do it for free while you wait. Hope that helps.

-Aaron

My Computer:
-UV Reactive Acrylic Mid-Size Case
-Thermaltake 420W
-AMD Athlon XP \"Barton\" 3200+ 400MHz
-Cooler Master Aero7+
-Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe Mobo
-nVidia GeForce FX 5700 128MB
-2x Kingston HyperX 512MB PC3200
-2x 200GB WD 7200 8MB SATA
-2x 12\" UV Cold Cathodes
-5x 80MM 4UV LED Blue UV-Reactive Fans

My Laptop:
P3 750MHz, 512MB, CD-RW/DVD Combo, 15.1\" TFT, 20GB HD, 32MB integrated video
Old 06-23-2005, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Top Tip.
I've been using metal polish to restore scratched cd's and dvd's for years, some of which were completely unreadable. I use Brasso (in the UK), but anything similar with a very fine abasive should work. The method is to use a clean cloth with some polish and work round the disk in small circles from the inside to the outside, never in circles right round the disc.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Default Re: my scratched windows xp cd

Quote:
Originally posted by burned-ati
ok i gotta windows cd its a bit scratched because when im installin it on a freshly formatted drive it says it has to skip a couple files like k6/driver cab and well if i goto eb games and pay 5 bucks they clean it .. is it worth it? will it work correctly if i get it done or will it just leave me with wasted 5 bucks and a shiny cd?
sometime that just happen because you got a crappy cd-rom. I had that problem on two people computer that I fixed. putting in a different cd-rom fixed it
try a different kind first
Old 06-24-2005, 02:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to burned-ati Send a message via Yahoo to burned-ati
Thumbs up

well its scrathed on the bottom but its only minor. its so light of scratching it seems like it would install it flawless but yes indeed i do have a cheap cd-rom lol i will clean my cd rom lens and get the disk cleaned but i just bought windows xp home edition today so im not in to big of a hurry. thanks for all the help tho!
Closed Thread