My PC went mad, plz help !! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2004, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Question My PC went mad, plz help !!

Hi there,,,
I got a serious and weird problem…hope someone can help me with it

((Sorry for being long , but am trying to tell it in details))

Once a day my pc went mad, so I formatted it(as they say…the golden key when ur pc goes mad.. ) and re-installed Win98 on c: and WinXP Pro on d: ..
The pc didn’t get better at all !!! and here are the list of stuff I faced :
- Upon the first launch of windows I got an error message !! saying something about windows !!. and it went ok after that.

- The computer is hanging for unclear reasons !

- In brother's user account, when he selects an icon on the desktop, it automatically selects (highlight) all the other icons on the desktop..and when press (enter) ….of course……all the stuff
opens at the same time!!!!

- Norton anti. 2004 has failed to open when I double click its icon., and fails to update when I try to. ( I un- and re-installed it many times but the same )

In brief my computer is really going really weird, I uninstalled windows and re-installed it 3 times!!! , but the same….tried to format the drives in quick and normal…but still having the same problems .

Right now am installing XP over Win98 (as upgrade ) but still the same ****.

And YES am having Norton antivirus 2004 and I did full system scan, I was clean , there are NO bad sectors on the drives (that what Win98's setup said when it scanned the drives before it downloads )…and YES I got Zonealarm Pro. I installed SP1 , still the same.

Any help with this would be really appreciable , if you need additional info. About my system plz let me know…anyway I got the system requirements for WinXP..and it used to work great on my system.

Thanks for your time

Old 06-26-2004, 04:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to rakesh_1024

Run MEMTEST to check ur RAM modules and also check ur hard disk for bad sectors.
These are the things one must do if they keep on gettin errors even after a complete format.

P4 1.6GHZ Willamette core 400MHZ FSB 256KB L2 cache
Intel 845WN Mobo
256mb SD-RAM
Nvidia Riva Tnt2 M64 G-card
40GB Seagate 5400rpm HDD
300Watt PSU
Intex Cabinet
15 LG Studioworks563N
Creative Inspire2400 2.1 speakers
52x Samsung CD Burner
Old 06-26-2004, 04:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

You said you did a full system scan later in that message after
you couldn't get it open or to liveupdate so i'm guessing you
put the CD in the drive and scanned from there. If you can't
use Live Update you can manually download the Norton
Virus Definitions and install them from here until we can figure out what's causing the problem.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Thanks (rakesh) and (Worked4 me ) for ur response ....and i a note for each of u :
first for "rakesh" :... How do i run this MEMTEST from WinXP ? And how do i check my drive for bad sectors...? XP only offers a quick drive scan (at least this wat i know )..any other method to do a deep check for my drive ?

Second for "Worked4me" : well nope i didn't use the cd , but ...before norton went dead few days was working i had a chance to update it and make a full scan b4 it dies.

And by the way i forgot to tell one thing about the stuff i faced :
"Standby" mode is not enabled in the " Turn off " menu..!!!

Thanks again..waiting for ur replies
Old 06-27-2004, 06:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

hey rakesh , i just found MEMTEST and downloaded it...i'll run it all over the night and let u know the results....but i just got a lil enquiry...: i got 2 chips of SDRAM ( 128 and 256 )..if somethin is wrong with ONLY of the chips , will MEMTEST tell me which chip is damaged ??
Old 06-27-2004, 06:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

well...i just read the FAQ on their site right now....and cant catch which physical chip is affected..! They suggest isolating chips and running the test again to detect which one is it.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to slvrstang
Default it once with both in...and if you get errors..yank one out and run it again for a couple hours...and if you get errors you know that stick is messed. But just to be safe throw in the other stick and run that for a couple hours. If you don't get errors on one of the stick just put that on in by itself and install windows and if there are still problems with good ram and a good HD, then i'm stumped.

Also, when you reinstalled windows...did you just reinstall windows, or did you actually FORMAT the drive first?

Q6600 G0 @ 3.80ghz
MCR-320-->Dtek Fuzion V2-->Dtek Fuzion GFX2-->Swiftech MCP-655-->
Asus P5K deluxe
4x1gb Crucial Ballistix @ 846mhz 5-5-5-15
3x 250gb HDDs
Hiper 580w
Coolermaster 690 w/ water cooling mods
3dmark06 - 15,602
SuperPi 1M - 12.421s
Old 06-28-2004, 06:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie
Default wat i got ...u ran MEMTEST all over the night it went through (3737 cycles ) ,(11312% coverage ) with NO errors at all !!
Any yes "slvrstang" i first made a quick format, then wn i found the same hangs i re-formatted the drive in normal FAT32 mode.

I still didnt run a detailed scan disk for my HD, XP doesnt offer this as i far know..!! is there any free appz that can do the job ?

Guys plz think with me..i want my pc back to live ..

thanks for ya all
Old 06-28-2004, 06:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to penguins21 Send a message via Yahoo to penguins21

Doesn't sound like it, but you should check dust... yes, dust... if its plugging up your CPU heatsink and fan, you may be running very very hot. Hot processors do weird things. It would be worth checking, as this will cause lots of weird PC behavior.

Closed Thread