My PC keeps restarting itself help please! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2004, 12:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default My PC keeps restarting itself help please!

Hi im new here. Not a good way to begin I guess. LOL!
My wife and I have a 3 year old Gateway PC. In the last week it has started locking up more and more. Then it restarts itself. It does it when you get to your desktop after a cold boot. It does it in the middle of viewing web pages or opening a program. Just restarts itself.
Over the weekend I wiped it clean and did a format of the HD. I then installed the Windows 98SE disk that came with the computer. All was fine. For 3 days. Now its doing it again. It wont even boot up now. It gets to the desktop and locks up every time. It wont respond to anything. I have to hold the power button down to get it to turn off.

If not for the Powerbook Im on now we wouldnt have a computer at all. My wife wants "her" computer back up and running.

Thank you in advance for any help with this problem.

Old 03-17-2004, 02:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

This could be either a simple heat issue ( which i think it is) or could be a case of faulty memory

Check the temperatures of ur CPU in the bios ...n' post 'em ..
As i understand from ur post ..ur system is 3 years old ..n' if there has been dust accumalation on the Cpu heatsink fan could lead to increase in CPU temps ..Hence the freezeing of the system.
What i would suggest is that u clean the CPU heatsink Fan .. probably apply a new layer of heatsink compound(artic silver)
N' as an immediate solution ..leave the side panels of ur Case open.

Alternatively .. if u don't find the temperatures high ..then ..u can try by removing one of the memory modules (i'm assuming that there are 2 ..) or try out with different memory

Please post ur system specs the nxt time u post

Screenshots of my Desktop.....Post ur\'s too :D

AMD AthlonXP3000+@ 2.2GHz, Cooler Master Aero 7+, Gigabyte 7NNXP , 1GB Kingston HyperX PC3200 Dual Channel , MSI FX5600 VTDR 256 ,Pinnacle PCTV , 120+120GB Barracuda , Liteon 52x CDRW , Samsung DVDROM , Benq DW1620 16x DVD ReWriter, Phillips 21\" TV,Samsung Syncmaster 763MB,Logitech Cordless MX DUO , Thermaltake Silent PurePower 480W Butterfly Series PSU, Win XP SP2,RH9.
Creative DDTS100 Decoder, Creative Inspire TD7700 7.1 Speakers

Search TF B4 u post { Thanks for this one! Emily :) }
<form action=\"\"><input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search!\"></form>
Old 03-17-2004, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

thats some good advice preet. i think it is most likely from a power supply failing or the processor is overheating. i'm not sure about memory being the culprit, i suppose that is possible since that computer is quite old.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to m3z

Also have you check for viruses he could have a worm??!!
Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-8KNXP SATA 8X/4X AGP PRO
Processor:Pentium 4 3.4
Video: NVidia TNT2 RIVA, Sound Blaster Live
Ram: 4 gig of Kingston DDR Ram (3200)
Hard Drive:maxtor x2 120 gig ATA133 w/ 8meg buffer
Old 03-17-2004, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

This happens to my laptop whenever I play games on it. I think its heat but I havent really looked at it yet. Also, it can't be a virus m3z. When you format your hard drive the viruses will be wiped (unless of course he has multiple hard drives and the virus was on one of them.)
Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Biostar T-Force 550
2GB Gskill Ram
250GB Western Digital
200GB Western Digital
2 DVD Burners
Apevia 500W PSU
XION Solaris Case
XFX GeForce 8600GT
HannsG HG-191RP 19" 2ms Widescreen LCD
Ubuntu, Windows XP

Acer Aspire 5570-2609
Old 03-17-2004, 09:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I have one HD a 15 GIG. Its a 566mhz,64mbRam.
I cleaned it out when i Installed the NIC card 4 days ago.
Thanks for the help guys. I will take it apart and reclean it just in case.

Closed Thread